Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, October 28, 2011

An Eye-Opening Experience on Video

Hola, darlings!

I'll do another post or two later but right now I'm rushing because I'm eager to see the Grande Denouement of Project Runway Season 9!  Already I saw the news of WHO WON.  EEK!  Can't wait to see the collections and all the drama, oh my :)

Anyway, while I was scouting around on the internet during lunch hour today, I came across this video and it really opened my eyes.  I mean, yeah, I guess I knew that some people put on eyeliner with a brush, but I'd never seen it done before and I always thought that anything applied with a brush (other than lip gloss) had to be a powder. WRONG. 

For years I've been using pencils on my eyelids, and some time ago I switched over to a pencil that is a sort of hard traditional type pencil (like the old Maybelline "eyebrow" pencils that I still have a few of in my junk make-up box - I use them to fill in nicks on dark furniture - no kidding) and a sort of liquid, but it neither, actually. It's Revlon ColorStay(c) eyeliner/crayon contour in "Blackberry."  I picked it out because I was looking for a different kind of pencil, something not so "hard" on my eyelids, which are not as taut as they used to be...

The color on me is not like the color on the cap, which is a sort of lucious smokey cross between maroon and a reddish-purple with some bronze in it.  To me, once applied, it just looks black, but it's not harsh like I suppose an actual black liner would be.  I have modified the way I line my eyes from my younger years and it seems to work okay with the sagging eyelid thing I've got going on, the inevitable result of gravity.  Don't think about it now, darlings.  While I would like to remedy the situation, I'm too cheap to spend the money for cosmetic surgery in an attempt to fight gravity for say, oh another 10 years or so; I'd much rather continue to go on nice vacations and smile a lot, even if my eyes do shut down to almost nothing slits these days and I look all cheeky (the facial kind) in photographs! 

In my younger years, I lined my eyes from all the way in to all the way out; now I start at the outside corner with a thick somewhat uptilted line and taper it down to nothing as I approach the top of my iris.  The inner half of the eyelid is left without liner.  I work the line as close as possible to the lash line.  That seems to work to "open" them up from the sagging and drooping look.

I like this Revlon pencil/liner because once applied it lasts a good long time and doesn't "melt" into the crease in my eyelid or unduly smudge.  I went through several different types of eyeliner pencils, including my favorite (see below), where this happened and I was not happy about it. Still, by the end of the working day, the Revlon ColorStay(c) liner is definitely not as "crisp" as it starts out in the morning!  With some practice, I learned how to apply it "heavier" in areas where I want more definition and "lighter" on other parts of the lid where I want just a hint of definition.

Anyway, I still draw on liner under the lower lashes.  Under eye liner is a gorgeous color that Mr. Don mails to me from Montreal - he's so sweet about that!  I first discovered this eye pencil in 2002 when visiting Mr. Don in Montreal after our trip back from Madrid.  He took me to a shopping district and I had a blast roaming around Hudson's and the piece d'resistance - Ogilvy's Department Store.  Hmmm, come to think about it, he must really have been totally in love with me, because what man would willingingly subject himself to a day's worth of shopping with his oooh-ahhhhing girlfriend?  It was at Ogilvy's that I found Dior's Crayon Khol in color brown 887.  Except it's not brown, darlings!  Not by a long shot!  It's a gorgeous mixture of red and purple and brown and I just adore it!  I've used it ever since. 

And, since the Dior blend lasts a very long time, I only have to email Mr. Don every few years or so and request that he make the trek to Ogilvy's make-up counter and pick me up another eye pencil.  Hmmmm, come to think of it, maybe he's still in love with me...  The only place I could find this Dior pencil sold locally was at Sephora, and there is not one within shooting distance of where I live.  Since I do not drive, Sephora is out of range. 

The thing was, as time went by, when I lined my upper eyelids with the Dior product, it would be smudged by the end of the day and I would have an "echo" arch of eyeliner above the crease of my eyelid, certainly where I had not drawn it!  But I love the color so much that I still use it, and honestly, it behaves much better lining the area beneath my lower eyelashes.

So, I've got the best of both worlds.

And then, I saw this video today.  Well, actually, the one I first saw was "how to accent brown eyes with eyeliner."  But my eyes aren't brown.  They're hazel.  I swear they used to be a reddish-brown color, but now they're greenish brown with possibly a few gold specks.  How is that possible?  Was I just deluding myself all these years, thinking that I had eyes the color of an old fox's pelt? Well, maybe not the most attractive analogy, come to think of it.  Is it possible for one's eyes to change color?  Probably not - I was probably deluding myself all those years.  Oh my.

So, anyway, I didn't even have to do a search because just a little further down on the page was a video for "how to accent dark hazel eyes."  Now, really, I don't know if mine are "dark hazel" but they are definitely hazel, as you can see clearly in this photo that I took of myself just a few week or two ago:

Hazel eyes!  See - they're definitely not brown, like my hair.

I learned that I'm supposed to be using a honey-colored with bronze eye liner that I should be applying with a brush!



I love Melissa's look in the video, but honestly, if this eyeliner is able to be applied that thickly and look that "wet," it has no chance of lasting very long on me.  I'll end up with the "rainbow" double eye-lid effect above my iris. 

But the color that she used, now that made me think.  Should I perhaps experiment with a honey brown with bronze or honey bronze or whatever, and give up my beloved Dior Crayon Khol in brown 887

No comments:

Post a Comment