December 4, 2016: Hola everyone! Winter has arrived in Milwaukee and there are snow flurries today. Despite several hard freezes remarkably my "spikes" in two of my patio planters have absolutely refused to die. The rosemary and thyme plants I nursed inside the house through last winter spent the summer in their pot outside next to the side stoop off the driveway, where they get plenty of sunshine all day long. I transplanted them into a cozy sheltered spot right next to the stoop in October and they are still green and growing, too! With the delay in getting the drywall patching done in the relatively minor "reconstruction" work I had done in my kitchen, I am way behind my time in getting the house decorated. But yesterday I got my wreath decked out with extra lights and dressed the front door of the house, and my battery-operated traditional candles were put up on the window sills all around the house Friday evening. It becomes a ritual to go around at dusk and turn the tops to the right to turn the candles "on" and at bedtime to go around and turn the tops to the left to turn the candles "off." Today I put some "glittery" throw pillow covers purchased new last month from H&M on three of my sofa pillows to glam things up a bit in the living room and add some sparkle. Later on, after I sufficiently fuel myself up with wine and snacks and probably to distract myself while I listen to the Packers game on the radio, I will huff and puff and pull my artificial tree up from storage in the basement. I will decorate it simply this year. Every year I say that, and every year I end up throwing just about everything except the kitchen sink on the tree. I am very proud of myself this year, though. I did not buy a single new ornament or Christmas doo-dad for the house (throw pillow covers don't count!!!) Happy Holidays to all, with hope and fervent prayers for 2017. I've a feeling we're all going to need a lot of help from Goddess in the coming year. Jan

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Five Accessories: Beneficial to the Makers and Eco-Friendly Too!

While doing yet more putzing around with Christmas decorations -- this time arranging faux-presents under the tree to cover up the bare tree "stem" until it disappears underneath my new-this-year "velvet" and "silk" tree skirt -- I had the t.v. on to some home-improvement program or other and caught mention of "Five," custom-made eco-friendly handbags.  I looked up in time to see a couple of really interesting looking handbags made out of bamboo and coconut!

So, now I've just gobbled down lunch (these days I have to remind myself to eat, I'm so busy doing other things!) I took a few moments to find them on the internet:

Five Accessories sells more than just eco-friendly handbags, but these handbags - LOVE!  Here are just a few -- for yourself and for budget-friendly gifts for your special friends.  These are just the most unique products and the coolest designs!
Brown coconut shell clutch: small size 6" x 8": $35; 10" x6": $40
and 12" x 6": $45 (satin lining)
 
Bamboo 1/2 moon jewel clutch: $25 (on sale)
for large size (12" x 6").  Small size (6" x6") also on sale for $20!!!

Check out some of this uber-unique jewelry!
 
Wooden bracelet is constructed with wavy wooden pieces
and held together with elastic and small beads in-between.
           A perfect rare statement piece! On SALE from $15 to $10.           
 
Brown and white mother of pearl shell bangle bracelet, from
the Bali Collection.  On sale for $10 (regularly $15).
Lots of other beautiful things in their design lines.  Best of all, not only are they eco-friendly, they also work with local crafts-people and a portion of the purchase price goes to assist local development, as well as providing the crafts-people with a much-needed source of income.  We need more businesses like this, so please, support Five Accessories if you can, with a purchase or two :)

No comments:

Post a Comment