Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, February 13, 2012

How NOT To Install A Net Canopy

Oy!  So this morning I unwrap the package from Overstock.com that holds my net canopy.  The one I bought has 4 corners and drapes over the bed from hooks installed in the ceiling, which means 4 holes have to be installed.  Why, why, why did I do this?  I should have bought the simple 1-hook kind and let it go at that, but nooooooo, I had to print out pics of several different styles of net canopy and then ask the opinion of the ladies on the bus.

They all preferred the 4-hook version over the 1-hook version. And so, caught up in enthusiasm for their excellent taste, because actually I preferred the 4-hook version look myself, I ordered the thing before I could change my mind.

So, here it is - and look at all of those colors it comes in, too!  Including white white, which is what I ended up ordering.

Looks fabulous, doesn't it?  The look of a four-poster bed without the posters!

Except - the instructions say that two people should be hanging it.  And that is one person more than I have in the house.  That would also mean two step ladders.  How many people do you know who have two step ladders in their house?  How many people do you know who even have one step ladder in their house?

I don't have a drill to drill holes in my ceiling, either.  My step ladder is old and rickety, and may fall apart at any moment.  It rattles and creaks when I get on it, and wiggles and jiggles.

Three different times I went up and down the ladder after attempting to get the first screw-hook affixed in the ceiling, and determined that I was going to wrap up that sucker and send it back to Overstock.com.  Finally, on the fourth try, I managed to get the screw-hook to stick in the ceiling with some help from a very large hammer.  I didn't fall off the ladder once.  The first hook was in.  I hung up one corner of the canopy.  Moved the ladder over.  Managed to get the second hook in.  Draped the second corner of the canopy.


Now I'm taking a well-deserved break.  I sure hope when I go back upstairs the damn thing hasn't fallen off the ceiling.




Sort of looks like a spider web, doesn't it.  Oook!  Did you see Grimm on NBC Friday night?  Spooky stuff!


Oh yeah, my chair!  Loaded with the curtains I'm going to swap out at the windows, but first I need to pop them in the dryer with a wet cloth to try and get out some of the storage wrinkles, but I'll probably end up ironing them anyway.  Look Ma, more brown!  That's a nice soft afghan that I like to wrap myself in sometimes, because I keep it pretty chilly in here and if I'm not moving around doing stuff like huffing and puffing up and down a jiggly step ladder 25 times to get two hooks into the ceiling, I get cold quickly.  Hey, this photo actually gives a pretty good look at one of my boudoir lamps (see prior post Lamp Dilemma).

Okay, I am going to go back upstairs now to finish hanging that canopy.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment