Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Couple of Celadon Inspiration Rooms

The first two images are from a New York Social Diary interview with high-end (WAY high-end) designer and socialite Clare Fraser.  I couldn't even afford to rent a stair of the building she lives in, darlings!



The description for this photo says that the "Louis XVI chairs are covered in celadon silk from Scalamandre."  The walls are shiny and smooth, probably lacquered to perfection.  When I saw images of this room before I tracked down where it was from, I went DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL OOOOOOOOOOH.

Obviously not in my price range, and I'm not going to attempt to do "the look for less" either, let me tell you!  But the wall color reminds me very much of the color I picked out for my humble family room.  The celadon Scalamandre silk upholstery is perhaps a bit more green than I want, but I love the Chinese accents, which are continued from room to room in this glorious New York apartment.  This is how people with inherited money and possessions from many generations live.  I think they need to pay more income taxes, darlings.  I mean, Really!

Check out the coffee table, which according to the article was made out of a panel from a Chinese screen.  Imagine breaking down a Chinese screen just to make a coffee table.  Guess that says it all, doesn't it?

Here is another coffee table that cost it's owner $10 at the time (2007) from E-bay.  Now this is much more my price comfort level, and it's a lovely, comfortable room as well.  I came across it at "Becoming Home" and it is a blog update from August 6, 2007.  The blogger was furnishing/decorating their very first home!


The table color is just spot on what I want!!!!  I want it, I want it!  I'm not sure what the wall color is, didn't read back to when the walls were painted.  The window behind the sofa is covered in a damask print that looks like a sage green color, so perhaps the walls are a tan/green.  The paleness of the "blue-green" celadon table definitely works well in this space!  It's hard to believe that the blogger transformed this table simply with a coat or two of paint:


Despite the obvious discrepancies in price points on the objects and furnishings filling these rooms, I see many similarities between them:

(1) Ceiling color
(2) Wall color
(3) Trim color
(4) Mirrors used strategically
(5) Comfortable squishy sofa seating
(6) Comfortable squishy throw pillows
(7) Light-colored window coverings that let abundant natural light come into the room
(8) Celadon as an eye-catching accent color on furnishings
(9) Oblong/rectangular coffee tables in classic styling (oriental and Italian provincial)
(10) Lux fabrics - lux-looking fabrics (silks, damasks, brocades, velvets)
(11) Overall classic (traditional) styling of furniture and furnishings

Good taste isn't limited to those who can afford to buy uber-expensive furnishings and finishes or priceless inherited objets d'art and gold-leafed framed oil paintings.  Always a good lesson to keep in mind.

These two rooms have given me a ton of inspiration! 

Now, I am actually looking forward to tearing down the old pink-gold-grey wall paper and border and covering over the old tri-toned sponge painting and stenciled ceiling border!  For now, walls will be finished as originally planned --- unless I get a brain storm or have another dream-vision about how I need to finish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment