Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Grandma's Pink Elephant

This morning when I went to the 16th floor kitchen to get my first glass of water for the day, I saw on the "take me" pile (it's where we all put stuff we don't want or need anymore and it's available to the whoever wants it) an Expressions catalog.  I idly flipped through it for a few seconds and then took it back to my office.  I looked through it page by page during lunch hour.  Lo and behold, I come across this absolutely gorgeous glass pink elephant:

Isn't she beautiful!  She's about 6 inches from tip of trunk to her base.  Part of her description reads "our pink pachyderm turns on the carm with silver flects swirling within handblown glass.  4 1/2" x 6"."  I find it a little hard to believe she would be 4.5 inches wide, but you never know until you actually hold a piece in your hands. 

I placed an order for her immediately tonight but - she's already on back-order!  EEK!  I had no idea so many people would fall in love with this little pink elephant, or perhaps they didn't have much of a stock to begin with???  I just don't know.  Anyway, the shipment won't even be in until May 15th!
How can I possibly survive until then???

I must plan where exactly I will put her...

One of the disadvantages of taking photographs during this time of year (dark out by the time I get home) is my difficulty in taking a good photograph. Not only am I usually tired and therefore my hands shake more than usual when I finally get home from the office, I don't have bright lighting in my house - on purpose! At home, I prefer to live in the least light possible in order to get the task at hand done. I am under the glare of fluorescent lights all day, and at night I want an intimate, quiet and dim atmosphere -- like soft, flickering candle light. So - it's not exactly conducive at home to taking photographs at night :)

That would be neither here nor there, except I don't spend all weekend during daylight hours trying to take photographs for blogging I'm going to do during the week. I don't plan that far in advance, for one thing! Nope. An idea may come to me while taking the bus to the office in the morning, or walking home from the supermarket in the evening, or, as last Friday walking home during a particularly nasty snow storm... Well, you get the idea.

This idea, however, has been around for a couple of days -- and I even tried taking photographs of - you guessed it - my collection of pink elephants -- but those photographs did not turn out at all! Tonight, I tried again because --

So, I popped out the camera and turned on every light in the room and snapped three photos.  Two were yechy and one turned out okay.  It's not the best photo, but it does capture one shelf of my pink elephants.  Not that I have several shelves - but I am starting a second shelf and I'm going to have to figure out how to rearrange things in my curio cabinet sooner or later:


Some are more pink than others :)  The little elephant who started this all is the third from the right, in the first row.  She belongs to my grandmother, Ida Belanger Newton.  When Grandma died in 1961, the little elephant was passed down to my dad, and somewhere along the line (many years before he passed away in 2002), she ended up in my hands, and moved with me from apartment to apartment during my roaming years, college years, and early career years.  When I bought my first home in 1986, she had pride of place inside a lovely built-in with stained glass.  It wasn't until years after I built and moved into my present home that I looked at her one day and thought "She's lonely."

That's what started the collection in about 1996.

She has no markings, other than JAPAN embossed near her little tail on her backside toward the bottom/base.  She used to have more gold painted highlights but through the years much of it has either been washed off or worn off from handling.  Of all my elephants, I love her the most.  She could be from post-war Japan, but I've always thought that she dates to the 1930's.  Just don't know.  And it's not really so important.  She will always have pride of place in the front row as near center as I can get her, as the start of the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment