Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, March 23, 2012

I've Seen the Celadon: Buying an Area Rug

As you know, I hate shopping.  Unfortunately, in order to get this family room re-do done, I needed to shop and will need to shop in the future.  Sigh.

But -- I have been successful in my quest for a new area rug!  At first I was not going to buy one because I'm cheap and did not want to spend the money.  But then I got to thinking about Mr. Faux Tang Dynasty Horsey and how lonely he would be in his celadon beauty without anything else in the room to "match" his glorious color.  So I started looking at area rugs.

I spent HOURS, then DAYS looking at rugs on line and in magazines.  I kept going back to Overstock.com because, frankly, I could not find any rugs that I liked for any less money at local stores or any place else online.

And yesterday - I pulled the trigger, folks.  I bought a rug!  Specifically, this rug:


Yesterday was the last day of one of their 15% off on rugs sales at Overstock and if I wasn't going to buy a rug yesterday, I had no idea if/when they would go on sale again.  So I paid a ridiculously low price for this hand-tufted 100% wool rug. 

The field color is more blue-green than in this image, but until the rug actually arrives I won't know for sure.  I will take pics of it when it gets here.  The size is about 5x8.  No fringe!  Accent colors are rust (in the monitor at the office that color looks pink!), green, ivory and gold.  The rug itself is described as "blue and beige."

I had narrowed down my choices to three rugs -- this was one of the them but I kept putting it at the bottom of the colored print-outs of the final three.  I kept telling myself it was too bright, the blue wasn't right, I should pick one of the other rugs with their more muted colors that would read more neutral if/when it gets moved to another area of the house.  Myself was waging an epic battle with myself between what my head was telling me and what my instincts were telling me.  Instincts won.  I went with my gut and bought the rug I kept going back to and drooling over.

Soooooo, this may be a big mistake rug but I tell you, unless it's so fricking ugly that I can't stand looking at it once it arrives, I'm keeping it because I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this rug -- pattern, color, thickness!  It's over 1/2 inch thick.  Can you imagine what it's going to feel like under bare feet?  If it doesn't stay in the family room it's going to my bedroom where I can roll around on it at night.  My bedroom is so neutral right now with all its shades of white and cream this rug would look wonderful with the rich dark cherry finish on my old bedroom furniture.

I paid $158.49 including shipping.  Today the sale is over and the rug is listed at $182.99, so I saved about $28.  Not a lot, but every penny counts.

Once I have the rug in the house, I will take a closer look at curtains.

Tonight I'm getting the paint!  Mind you, I have developed a serious case of the doubts about the taupe color I selected.  It looks so dark!  What if I paint the room and it looks like a cave or something, even with the white lower walls? 

I happened across these colors at Elle Decor - they were probably in fashion two or three season ago (that's me, always behind the eight-ball and definitely not a trendy type of gal):


Not one of them looks like celadon!  On my colored print out that I've been carrying around with me for several days ande constantly looking at, these colors are much more vibrant - they look a bit washed out on this monitor.  The Eucalyptus Leaf looks more like an aqua or teal color and Ice Cube is less blue and a hint more green.  My little Dutch Boy paint cards look very pretty with all of these colors - at least when placed against them on the color print out! 

So, like a bride before her wedding, am I just getting cold feet?  Do I really need to torture myself and looks at thousands of men paints online and in the stores?  NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO.  I refuse to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment