Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Shopping for Celadon

Hola Darlings!

I am waiting for the gloom to blow over before heading outdoors to start backyard clean-up.  Oh my, what a mess back there after a winter's accumulation of blown-down branches, twigs, leaves and what-not, including probably a hundred pounds worth of nut and peanut shells from my feeding the squirrels and critters.  Actually, I should be working out there right now because it is not raining and the sun is clouded over so it's warmish but not hot.  The weather people have promised hot for later today 78 F -- in SE Wisconsin this time of year.  I watched the complete forecast on tv last night (rarely am up that late, LOL!) and so far in March, we are 11+ degrees above our normal temperatures.  That is just absolutely mind-blowing.

I've been internet window shopping instead, looking for pale blue-green or green-blue celadon rugs and curtains.  I haven't found the right curtains but I did find some very nice rugs at Bed, Bath & Beyond:


This is a Safavieh rug light blue and ivory in the Lyndhurst collection.  It's not "celadon" but I didn't find any color like that for rugs at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  However, it is lovely, particularly the close-ups.  With a new paint job in this tired old family room and the old side panels and sheers stripped from the window, it would give it a totally different look without changing another thing.  Wow!  That is as mind-blowing to me as this crazy un-winter we've had.  Of the four area rugs I saved, this was also the least expensive, at under $110 for roughly 5 x 7.

This another Safavieh rug in light blue and cream from the Majesty line.  It is $188 for a little over 5 x 7 size.  The close-ups are beautiful.  The field has a particularly delicate and beautiful thin thread of gold shaped in a Goddess spiral shape that would be oh so perfect for my home.  It is always difficult to tell from a photograph, of course, but this light blue background looks more on-tone with my celadon horse from TJMaxx. 


This is also a Safavieh rug in sage and brown from the Majesty line.  It's not pale celadon green but I find that green color - at least in this image - quite beautiful.  The brown - meh.  But in close-up views the border looks black, which would tie-in perfectly with my present big black case goods and sofa table/desk tucked behind the sofa.  Quite a contrast, though, from the light blue and cream/ivory rugs above!  I would have to eyeball the rug in person and take the celadon horse with me to see how they go together.  That's assuming this rug would be in stock at one of the local Bed, Bath & Beyond stores.  Did I mention that I hate shopping???  The price point for this rug is the same as the rug above for the same size (a little over 5 x 7), $188. 


This was the most expensive rug I looked at, from the Shaw Century Collection, Lenox Vintage Blue.  For a 5' 5" x 7' 11" (so somewhat larger than the rugs above), $300.  The blue field in this rug is more grey-blue, at least in the photographs, and perhaps not quite as good a match color-wise for what I'm looking for.  But it has much to offer in terms of other colors that could be picked out. 

Did I mention that I hate shopping (again)???  I could look forever and not find the "perfect" area rug at a price I'm willing to pay.  I'm not willing to pay $300 when the $110 rug might "read" better in the room.  Rug #2 is a very close second in terms of look/feel.  Would I be willing to up the ante by $70???

No comments:

Post a Comment