Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Is There An Easy Way To Mount This???

Hola!  Now that the Super Hot Humid High Dew Point Monster Heat Wave has finally broken its hold on Wisconsin and dew points have dropped back down into the tolerable range, I am filled with energy and don't feel like I'm 150 years old, cooped up in central AC-treated air.

Yesterday I watered the front (all day) -- which entails constant trips in and out after monitoring the time to move the sprinkler around; I washed windows; I discovered wood rot on a window sill (NOT GOOD); I did laundry; I read; I blogged; I watched TV and drank lots of cheap wine.   I even slept relatively decently with the windows wide open for the first time in WEEKS!

Back yard  today, a lazy Sunday afternoon with sprinkler going!

Today, after enjoying my usual Sunday morning rituals (feeding animals outdoors, my one cup of coffee per day, leisurely reading the newspaper and sales papers that takes 2 or 3 hours), I cut the grass, did some weeding, did some pruning, chopped down spent perennials and ruthlessly rooted out invasive species, and yes - pulled out the sprinkler once again as I put my feet up on the deck (which needs a good sweeping) and whiled away the afternoon looking at the latest print editions of House Beautiful and Traditional Home :)  Nothing like a lazy Sunday afternoon when the weather is perfect!

That's not to say it's cooled off way much out there, but it's not 100 anymore!  Hallelujah!  It's about 85 F right now and not much of a breeze, but the house is relatively cool even without the AC on.  So, now I'm finally saving some electricity only to blow the budget wide open on WATER for the yards!  Oh well.  What else do I live for but to work to pay the utility companies...

A little project -- I noticed this particular piece of old partially rotted wood about a month ago -- it must have fallen at some point from the large double-trunked Chinese elm out back -- it is always shedding pieces of itself all over the yard.  I took it up to the deck to lay in the sun and dry it out, because it reminded me of the ancient Persian symbol  horns from a roe) for a very old Goddess. 



Today, the wood piece seemed dry enough after our relentless heat wave and mini-drought, so I gave it a good brushing off and several layers of clear acrylic spray paint.  It soaked right in.  I can't tell if it will do any good or not.  I've used up nearly the entire can now, so I'll have to get some more, and maybe spray it several times over again.  Maybe eventually it will actually turn into an acrylic mini-log :)

Okay, flight of fancy, sorry about that.  What I intend to do with this piece of wood is a vision -- somehow mounting it on a thin piece of metal that is somehow anchored to a base of some kind that is heavy enough to support the wood piece (it's pretty light, actually, probably because it's so rotted out!)  Here is an inspiration piece from Gump's Online, one of my favorite places to window-shop, to show you what it is I have in mind...



I haven't yet thought about the size of the base, what material it could or should be made of, or its shape:  round? square? rectangular? free form?  I also have no idea what it might be or should be mounted upon, or the actual mounting process itself to make sure it is securely supported and anchored at both ends, other than -- the inspiration photo looks like the wood carving is anchored on round metal supports that are grounded into a wood base (per the description). 



So -- any help any of my two or three readers can give me would be greatly appreciated :)

I am posting this at The Shabby Nest's Frugal Friday (July 5, 2012 edition) in the hopes of getting responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment