Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

It's Back to Plan A!

Hola darlings!

Oh, I am so excited!  This coming Friday is my neice's wedding and, as you know, I had wanted to drop some pounds for it in the hope of being able to fit into a certain suit that I have not even tried on in probably 9 years! 

Before I was diagnosed with my heart issues recently, I had already determined to try and eat a healthier diet, with more whole grains and high fiber foods, more fruits, vegetables, less red meat, more fish and low fat pork and chicken.  That began some time in June, but I don't remember exactly when.  I sort of eased into it, adding more lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers, for instance, to start out.

Anyway, I was stuck like forever at 180.  Yeah, I'm not proud of that figure because it's a good 45 pounds too much for my rather petite under 5"4" and small boned frame.  Back in the good old days I used to weigh 117, and after I quit smoking in 1989 I shot up to 135. I stayed there for several years.  But once menopause struck, disaster came with it.  I packed on pounds and pounds and pounds.  AWFUL!  At my peak weight, I was 195 and sooooo unhappy with how I looked. 

So, I started the long slow trudge to getting rid of the excess weight.  I got down to 180 without making as many changes as I needed to.  Duh!  Finally I saw the light, after just about throwing up every time I saw myself in a mirror - from the profile with that big fat belly sticking out and the multi-inch fat handle or doughnut around my middle.

So, the pounds have been coming off.  I am now at 172!  That's about 8 pounds in a couple of months.  Slow but sure.  This morning, I pulled on a pair of shorts and they were large in the waist.  Well, they were a little large in the waist when I put them on last weekend to cut the grass, and this weekend they were even larger!  Joy!  So, on a whim, I decided to be really brave and try on the tan and black suit that I would love to wear to the wedding.  Here are a couple of not very good photos of it -- it's dark in the house today because it's clouded over outside (I should be out cutting the backyard now before it starts raining instead of doing this, eek!):



Unbuttoned jacket and buttoned jacket.

IT FIT!  Well, to be absolutely truthful, the bottom button was just a little bit tight, but the skirt fits without me bulging out over the top of it.

This jacket is a little bit low cut, showing cleavage without a cami underneath, so I would not feel comfortable in it unless I had a cami on, which means even a thin one would add a little bulk.  So, not sure about wearing it to the wedding.

Sooooo, I tried on my other two "summer suits" that I also had not tried on for at least 9 years and - THEY FIT TOO!

Oh Joy!

I really love how this purple one fit - no "tight button" issues at all with this jacket, and the cut is very flattering - I even look like I have a waist in it; it is cut slightly shorter than the suit jacket above, so obviously the proportions have a great deal to do with it; and perhaps there was a slightly more generous cut through the waist area, too:


It's cut high enough in the neckline so I wouldn't have to wear a cami underneath.  You can't tell from the photo, but the buttons are purple with gold-toned trim around the outer edge.

And finally, I tried on this suit - I just adore the color:



The buttons on this suit are blue to match the material, and have a silver-toned outer edge.  The jacket is slightly longer than the other two and has a slimming effect on my from-the-side silhouette. 

The material for the top and middle suits is poly-crepe.  The bottom suit is also poly but the material has a sheen and a texture that reminds me of shantung silk.  All are fully lines jackets and skirts so no hassles with slips underneath.

I believe I had mentioned a post or two ago that I had tried on the dress I wore to a nephew's wedding back in 2004.  It fit okay - actually, it looked a little big underneath the arms and across the top, but it would have been fine -- and I'll bet my sisters would have remembered that I wore that to the last family wedding, too (dang).  I didn't think it would go well with my new black shoes because it is a light floaty material with a pastel floral design.  Also, ruffles.

Hmmmm, I'm not really a ruffles type of gal these days.  My tailored suits, on the other hand, I've always loved them -- as you can tell - keeping them in my closet all these years (they were all purchased in early 2002). 

Now I've got OPTIONS!  I'm so happy!  And seeing that scale go down week after week, it really has been an incentive to keep going. 

My current goal is to get to 170.  Oh, probably not by Friday.  But once I get to 170, I'll be working on 5 pound increments.  I figure if I can keep losing 4 pounds every 4 weeks or so, in June of 2013 I'll have totally redone myself -- from 180 to 138.  Back to a size 10!

Sooooo, the question NOW, darlings, is WHICH SUIT DO I WEAR???

No comments:

Post a Comment