Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Look for Less: Ballard Design's Emerson Kitchen

I next shopped for a chandelier but I have to tell you, I didn't spend much time on this because I thought right from the get-go that finding a similarly sized chandelier for $349 (plus shipping, whatever that costs) would be very difficult.  And I don't like to send a lot of time on these challenges.  That's why they're challenges.  I mean, if I shop for months and months in advance, what's the challenge in that?  LOL!

This is the inspiration chandelier from Ballard Designs:


The Arturo chandelier costs $349.  It is 27 3/4" tall (from ceiling to bottom of rim) and 32" diameter, sizeable!  The wood frame (you can see it is finished in a rustic looking brown) is 2 3/8" tall.  There are six frosted glass pillars set inside what appears to be wrought iron or black-finished metal "arms."  The glass sleeves are 5 1/8" tall.  The chandelier comes with three 12" extension rods and two 6" extension rods.  The only thing I do not understand in the description is this:   "Cord 10'L & black."  What cord? Are they talking about a cord that plugs into an outlet?  I envisioned this as being hard-wired into the ceiling to replace the existing hanging light fixture.  So -- would need to be clarified.

I was surprised by what I came up with:


This is the World Imports Colchester Collection 6-light Iron Chandelier in oil-rubbed bronze finish! (Amazon.com).  The rim is not wood, it is a double circle of metal.  The glass sconces are "tea stained." Dimensions of the glass shades were not given.  It is 24.4" tall and approximately 28.5" diameter.  So, it's a little shorter and a little smaller than the Arturo chandy, but the price is $140.26.  Nearly a 60% savings off the cost of the inspiration chandy, and not sacrificing much in terms of size.

Maybe you don't like the "smudgy" look of the "tea stained" glass finish on the World Imports Colchester chandy.  A close-up look reveals that it looks like "melted wax!" (I like it).  I found an alternative that appears to have plain white-frosted glass, but at a higher price and smaller size.  This is available at Home Depot:


It is the Hampton Bay Alta Loma 6-Light Dark Ridge Bronze Chandelier.  It is 24 1/4" tall and 24" diameter.  It's base is steel, not iron.  Dimensions of the glass shades were not given.  It has a dark bronze finish (looks nearly black), as you can see, and is priced at $229, about 34% less than the inspiration Arturo chandy.  One does give up quite a bit in diameter, however -- from 32" to 24". 

I present this chandy as an alternative, although it has cloth lamp shades rather than glass:


This is the Royce Lighting RLCH204/6-43 Outdoor 6-Light Chandelier with Beige Weather-Resistant Shades, Dark Wood.  It is described as being made out of wood, but a customer description says she thought it was metal.  In any event, it can be wired as an indoor or outdoor light and has an optional cord to go into an outlet instead of being hard-wired.  The finish is "dark wood" - not very descriptive, LOL!  Dimensions are 17" tall (but 36" hanging chain is included -- not sure what this means unless it's like a swag?) and 26.5" diameter.  The dimensions of the shades are not given.  This chandy is priced at $174.82, roughly one-half the cost of the inspiration Arturo chandy. 

Depending  upon which option you choose, price differential is:

Arturo ($349) - Colchester ($140.26) =  $208.74
Arturo ($349) - Alta Loma ($229) =  $120
Arturo ($349) - Royce Outdoor ($174.82) = $174.18

You have to weigh shipping charges -- the Alta Loma is available at Home Depot, so perhaps  it would be available for pick-up or free delivery to your local Home Depot and then pick-up.  That is certainly a consideration, but of the three alternatives shown, the Alta Loma is the smallest chandy in diameter. 

1 comment:

  1. Jan,

    Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words, my friend!!
    I just did another post and Joe's recipe for whimpies is included in it if you are interested. I have no idea why they are called whimpies here!! LOL!!
    Joe's family calls them Barbecues...
    I miss my neighbor terribly. She was such an inspiration to me. I started going to yard sales and thrift stores because of her. She still decorated her home inside and out up to 2 years ago when she started to lose her memory. She is 84 y/o. I figure that that will be me..still decorating with my walker!! LOL!!

    Have a great weekend!!

    Stay warm!!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete