July 16, 2017:
Hola! Where does the time go, Geez Louise! Half summer is already gone, and I am first now updating this from last December, tsk tsk. Bad Jan! So, been busy puttering around the yard, as always, and paying more attention than I probably should be to politics. The kitchen "remodel" is on hold due to budgetary constraints, but I hope to have that remedied before the end of the year. And I have yet to paint the guest room - it's only been 3 years now since I moved in to this version of Maison Newton, I'm not lazy or anything, nope... LOL! Take care and have a great rest of the summer. Jan

Sunday, September 1, 2013

The R-T-A From Hell, Finale

For an account of the trials and tribulations putting this Carson horizontal bookshelf from Target together, see post below.

Doesn't look so bad, does it:



The photo above shows where I "patched" the blown-out veneer finish with the Dowels-That-Would-Not-Fit.  The piece comes with little sticky circular plastic patches that are supposed to be used to go over the holes where the cam lock heads are, but I used all of mine, instead, to try and cover up the damage the dowels caused.  Those sticky patches, plus touch-up marker more or less has camoflauged the damaged areas.  Because of the angle of viewing from the table and when walking by, those areas aren't very noticeable, thankfully. 

So there she is, in place of the beautiful Queen Anne console table, which was removed to my bedroom.  I'm going to make a reading corner in my room utilizing that table.  That's next up, maybe later this evening.

As for this bookshelf/console, the plan right now is to buy some baskets to use for storage that will fit the shelves, but now I'm thinking that I will use this piece, instead, as an eventually flat screen t.v. console in the family room once I get rid of my 1986 entertainment center.  It will then hold VHS tapes and DVDs.  The baskets are probably still a good idea...

My next trip to Menard's will have wood glue (strong wood glue) on my to-buy list. 
The top, which right now is just resting on the unit with no screws or dowels holding it on, will be glued to the body, and the facings (two in the center, and one on either side) will also be disassembled and from their current cam bolts/locks and glued on -- no more masking tape holding them at 90 degrees to the front! 

This bookshelf sits about equal height or slightly taller than my dining table, and now I think I need to redo the bottom row of my gallery wall along with the row(s) above it, to achieve a new balance and a little more space between the bottom of the pictures on the bottom row and the top of the bookshelf.  That will wait until winter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment