Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Stacked Elephant Lamp

I had my eye on this Kirkland's lamp for quite awhile:


I have a "thing' for elephants :)  I started collecting glass and ceramic pink elephants years ago, after inheriting a small pink ceramic elephant from my Grandma Newton and holding it precious from the time I was 12 years old.  I have two other larger not-pink elephants purchased over the years at TJMaxx, and a hand-made 24" x 36" wall hanging from India of a lovely elephant bedecked with sequins and gold and silver thread.  I love all of my elephants!

Recently,  this Kirkland's lamp went on sale for $20 off the original price.  I decided to splurge a little bit and buy one for my front room desk. After shipping and sales tax were added, my cost was $51.67. 

The boxes were here last night when I got home from the office.  I unwrapped everything earlier this morning.  There was TON of bubble wrap and the boxes were huge, but the pieces arrived in perfect condition. 






In the photo above you can see the "spine" running vertically at the back of the lamp.  It holds the cord, socket for the light bulb and harp to which the shade is attached.  I expect it was less expensive to run this "spine" on the outside of the lamp rather than skewering through the center of the elephants which, come to think of it,  may have looked rather gruesome...

Because of this "spine," there is only one way to face the elephants with the "front" showing: the lamp has to be placed on one's right.

The lamp I've had on my desk for years (a Robert Abbey I picked up for $75 probably 20 years ago at Boston Store) has always sat at my left.

Oh oh.

Don't get me wrong. I love my new stacked elephant lamp!  It is well made and the finishes are very nice.  The elephants are extremely well done and the coloration is excellent. 

I did not think about the "spine" when I purchased the lamp and how the elephants would be facing.  My preference is for the elephants to be facing toward my work space.  Situating them on the left side of my desk with the "spine" toward the wall, the elephants were facing away from me. Not acceptable. 

So, I partially cleaned off my desk and put what was on the right side over to the left side, and placed the lamp on my right:


Hmmm...  Well, the desk area looks better in person, even with all the junk piled up on the left side of the desk.  That's my natural propensity since I am left handed (although I use the mouse with my right hand).  when I read and am digging through my books and papers, they are mostly on the left.  With the lamp on the right, well, I'm not sure that's going to work.

I will try putting the lamp on the left with the "spine" showing so that the elephants are faced toward my work area, but I suspect tht I'm not going to be happy with the "spine" facing toward the room rather than the wall.  I will probably end up doing some swapping around of lamps.  I think the elephants would work on either of the tables I have in this room and look splendidly.  But I'm not happy about this.  I wanted those elephants on my desk where I can see them when I'm working in this room.  Frustration! 

No comments:

Post a Comment