Sadly, there is not going to be a great reveal here. The room is, to put it bluntly, absolutely, totally P A T H E T I C.
Admitting defeat when it comes to rearranging the furniture, short of getting totally new furniture or removing the dresser forever, I put it back the way it was. It looks like a 10th rate hotel room, but right now that's all I can come up with.
I thought perhaps it would look better when I finally removed the sheets I'd thrown up the day after the move-in and put up actual curtains.
That's all I can say.
All of these things worked together so beautifully at the former Maison Newton. I just don't GET why they don't work here. It's making me so sick to my stomach, I can't stand it.
First photo, above. The room as I put it back together after EPIC FAIL of trying to angle the furniture around. What I ended up doing was switching the night stand from the right side of the bed to the left side, and moving the bed over a little bit more underneath the window. Bedhseet curtain - lovely. NOT.
Photo three, above, that's the ceiling fan. The less about that, the better. I switched off the "globe" light and the fan, which is not set correctly and wobbles, looking like the blades will fly off and decapitate someone at any second. This was a child's room, but REALLY? Oh yeah, there's one of the cold air returns next to the closet. There is another one underneath it at floor level.
Photo four, above. The dresser and mirror - and the baseball seam "mural" on the accent wall. You can see how tight the space is. The right end of the dresser is about half a foot from the entry door; there is about a foot of space on the left hand side of the dresser. There is perhaps a foot of space from the top of the mirror to the ceiling, yikes!
Spent hours dinking around on two chairs putting curtains on and off the rods; didn't work. I finally re-set the rods and that took another 1.5 hours because I had to do the screws manually with a small Phillips head screw driver. Another surprise was revealed, I'll show you later on...
So, finally, after much huffing and puffing and climbing up and down two old chairs (because the little handy-ladder I bought to access the top shelves in the kitchen cabinets is too short, and I don't have my rickety step ladder here yet, it's still in the garage at the former Maison Newton, long story), I put up one pair of curtains on the east-facing wall, it overlooks my backyard:
Photo five, above, east window with old ivory and black toile curtains from my old mistress bedroom at the former Maison Newton. Crappy photo, to boot, all blurry!
Photo six, above. Despite moving the curtain rods over -- and you can see my little surprise -- the former owner who painted this bedroom did not remove the curtain rods when she did the room, she just painted around them, so you can see that the former color in this room was puke green and you can also see all the gunked on paint coating the woodwork, now it's a fricking mess and ugly as hell and upsets me each time I see it -- well, the curtains STILL don't cover the windows as much as I like because there is NO return on these rods to enable one to curve the curtains closer to the wall to cover over that gap. But I'm not into giving my neighbors a peep show whenever this room is in use.
Sooooo, I took the Ikea stick-on pleated shades that I was going to use in the mistress bedroom and used them in here, instead, and engaged in yet another lovely adventure of sticking on and ripping off the shades many times while attempting to get maximum coverage and match up the center-ends of the shades. Fortunately, the shades allowed me to do that several times without falling apart or losing their "stickiness," kudos to Ikea!
Photo seven, above. Well, I'm sure no photographer, LOL! But you sort of get the idea of what I was trying to do with the shades. It took several tries, but eventually I got them "stuck" on evenly across the top of the window frame where they still managed to cover the ends of the windows and also meet in the center. NOTE: I have not trimmed the shades, I'm using the plastic clips that they came with to shorten them up to sill height, tucked comfortable on the top of the sill. In this photo you can see how "springy" the shade is; trying to trim it without letting it acclimate to the room and "stretch out" some would, I think, have been a big mistake for moi, especially since I cannot cut a straight line to save my life.
Photo eight, above, shows the not too terrific view out of the guest room north-facing window which overlooks my neighbors' driveway and garage area. Yep, that definitely needs to be covered up but still let light in...
More tomorrow. It's after 10 p.m. here and time for me to scrub up, get into my PJs and have a glass of wine (or two).