Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, September 19, 2014

The Guest Room is Driving Me Nuts!

Hola darlings!

This new old house I moved into is not very large. Of course, "space" is relative, depending on what you've been used to.  This new space feels small compared to the former Maison Newton.  It just IS way smaller than the former Maison Newton.  No way around that.  I know there are so many people who would love to have this home of mine, and I shouldn't be complaining about being fortunate enough to live in a nice house in a great area.  But this fricking house is driving me crazy.

I have too much furniture, and it's all too big.  It was purchased for a much larger house.  What the hell am I supposed to do?  I cannot afford to replace it all -- budget is totally blown.  I cannot afford to replace anything, truth to be told.  And, I have to just put it right out there, ugly as it is:  I do NOT want to banish much loved pieces to the wreck of a basement rec room that I will NEVER use.  They would die of loneliness down there and become home to centipedes -- I saw a giant one down there the other day DESPITE the humidifier going full blast 24-7, and spiders, and who the hell knows all what creeper-crawlers.  EEEEUUUUWWWWWW.  I am just not a basement dweller.  The thought gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I think I need to take a shower now...

I'm really frustrated and ticked off.

My mistress bedroom is the largest of my three bedrooms, at 10' x 12'; the second largest was listed at 10' x 12' but actually only about one-half of it is that size and it really can't be fully utilized because the closet entrance takes up part of it on the south wall and there is the entry door on the east wall.  The other half of the room, toward the lone high window that makes the space feel like a prison, is about 10' x 10', because there is a cut-in for the entry foyer on the  south wall plus a foyer closet.  I love having the foyer and the rather roomy closet!  But the bedroom behind the wall has a split personality as a result.

The third bedroom is the smallest, 9' x 10'.  That space is also causing me fits.  I thought I might be able to turn the bed or move the dresser around freely. I thought angling the bed oppposite the wall with the entry door would work -- BUT I CAN'T TURN THE FURNITURE, the room is too small.  The furniture is getting stuck. 

How do I know this?  Because I tried -- several times -- to angle the furniture this way, and then that way.  No go.  The bed doesn't have enough clearance to get it turned with the long dresser in the room, and vice-versa. 

Add to that, the arrangement of corner windows on the outside wall, one of which also holds the heating/air-conditioning vent, there are only two potential walls upon which to place the head of the guest room bed:  on the wall it was initially placed on when I had the movers put it there, or the opposite wall, which has less wall space because it also holds the entry door into the bedroom.

That would entail, however, putting the triple dresser and its tall mirror underneath one of the windows, blocking light, and on the east wall, also blocking the heating/cooling vent. The third wall (west wall) holds the cold air return and a closet.  There is no way the bed would fit on it and the dresser is much too large!

WHAT WAS I THINKING WHEN I BOUGHT THIS HOUSE?  It's impossible to use this as a guest room with a full-size ("double") mattress, a triple dresser with mirror and a night stand.  There is not even room for a chair.

For Goddess sake!  This bed, dresser and night stand fit comfortably into my 10' x 11' former guest room, and it also had room for a small bookcase, a side table for the other side of the bed AND a small scale wing chair!  Now I have none of those things and the room is still too cramped and crowded. It just looks sad right now.

I should have never bought this house.  I am beginning to hate this house.

I removed the bookcase.  That opened up a little bit of space,  but didn't help at all with the dilemma of the bed banging into the dresser and vice versa when trying to move them to try them out on different walls.  I had already given up the chair, it is at the former Maison Newton, now one of the possessions of the young, nearly furnitureless couple I sold the house to.

I got so desperate trying to think of a furniture arrangement that would work in the guest room, I actually contemplated doing a Feng Shui no-no by attempting to turn the head of the bed angled to the left -- smack dab across from the entry door.  [RULE: Beds should NEVER be placed where any part of the entry door intersects with the bed.]  But, the same thing happened when I attempted to turn the bed to angle it into the left-hand corner -- it got stuck on the dresser, and I couldn't move the dresser enough to scootch each piece of furniture past the other.  Even if I had been successful, though, there would only have been about 2 inches of "leg room" access to get to the far side of the bed between the angled end of the bed on one side and the dresser.  Nope, not working.

Attempt to put the bed at an angle opposite the entry door, on the west wall, the wall that holds the closet. EPIC FAIL.

WHAT WAS I THINKING?

SO, I need a new dresser.  A much smaller dresser.  Or no dresser at all.

But I NEED THE STORAGE that this 9-drawer dresser provides.  It holds curtains, table-cloths, place mats, afghans, napkins and curtains, among other things, that this house is too small to hold elsewhere (but fit into the former Maison Newton comfortably, with room to spare) -- and would also provide drawer space for a guest.  Get rid of the dresser?  And get rid of more of my life?  Why don't I just shoot myself right now and be done with it.

SO, what to do, what do do?

No comments:

Post a Comment