Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Bedroom Inspiration

Hola darlings!

I have been hard at work, continuing to unpack tons of boxes, and Kevin the Handyman has been here on weekends three times during the last six weeks working on lots of different things.

Meanwhile, my mistress bedroom is about 75% finished.  I have two more pairs of sheers to add to each window' "underneath layer" and one pair of "Vivan" curtains to add to each window's outer layer, and then do the final adjustments to the IKEA curtain rods that Kevin the Handyman and his helpers installed a few weeks ago.  I want to get that done this weekend -- we'll see.  I have stalled in putting up the prints on the bedroom walls, need to get that done, too.  The furniture is where it will stay (I think), I need a few new area rugs (future purchases) but will use what I have for now, and that's it!

As you may recall, I splurged and bought myself a new bed when I moved into this smaller ranch house, replacing a bed that was still just fine but somehow the cross-wire supports for the mattress had gone missing in the move.  I priced out replacement bedframes and it was ridiculous how much a basic but good quality bed frame for a full-size bed cost!  In the end, I got a good deal on the new bed at overstock.com that would give me the look I had pined after for years (but was always too cheap frugal, before, to spend money on):


This is MY Bailey bed, woo woo!  Let me tell you, I feel like a Princess sleeping in it, even without it being swathed in organza hangings and flower strands!  I blogged about my long-time desire for a bed along these lines earlier.  I paid $319 for it, with free shipping.  Kevin the Handyman put it together for me - some of the best money I ever spent. 

Little did I know at the time that this bed is a copy-cat (minus the fancier legs) of a Pottery Barn Teen bed:


A full-size bed (such as the one I own) in a dark iron finish (looks more black than my "gunmetal" finish; also comes in gold) is $799, AND a $125 delivery surcharge.  HOLY HATHOR! 

Anyway, I was thrilled to find all kinds of decorating inspiration for this kind of bed at Pottery Barn Teen.  Now darlings, I am not trying to relive my teenaged years, but I do like some of the looks, I have to say.  For instance, love this color scheme and the stars.  In fact, it fondly reminds me of a stenciled star-spangled guest room with matching stenciled curtains at the former Maison Newton:


Minus some of the frou-frou, like the cat pillow and the animal prints, love the "continental" feel of the room; find the color scheme sophisticated and serene at the same time. 

Gasped when I saw this room at Pinterest; followed the link and discovered at Wanelo that it is (or was) actually from Restoration Hardware ($695.00):


This decor excites me!  Love, LOVE, LOVE the grey/gold/white color scheme with the TONS of artwork on the walls.  Oh my!  Even better, the room, at least from the angle from which it was photographed, looks small-ish, like my mistress bedroom (10' x 12').  It is the epitomy of sophistication and serenity, both things I am endeavoring to achieve in my mistress bedroom. Can I get something of this look...

Tacking off into a totally different direction - with PINK.  And patterned WALLPAPER, and lots of decorative elements that don't ring my chimes -- but --


The photo (above) is from Traditional Home.  I'm not going back to a pink bedroom (I had a pink bedroom at the former Maison Newton from 1990 to 2009).  It's the ceiling-high curtains that have grabbed my attention, and the curtained-over closets, something I am considering doing in my own room, but then I'd have three walls each half-covered in white curtains.  What I'm wondering is why the designer did not take the curtains covering the closet wall all the way up to the ceiling?  I love the cozy chair/seating area in the corner, too.  Looks so inviting.  The pink -- I find it rather icky now after living with it for so many years, but it has good counter-balancing elements in the room above, and of course, lots of natural light during the day helps balance things out too, but you generally won't see that unless you are retired and live in your bedroom during the daytime.  LOL!  Something I don't intend to do.  Live in my bedroom, that is.

Stay tuned for what my "final" mistress bedroom product reveals. It is coming, I promise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment