Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, November 9, 2014

I'm In An Autumn Frame of Mind

Hola darlings!

Some of you may not know whom the late, great, Nat King Cole was.  I remember watching him on a tiny black and white television (that's all we had back then), when I was a little kid (the mid-1950's).  I was absolutely enthralled by his voice and his presence on stage.  Back then, all t.v. was done LIVE.  There weren't retakes and there was no video and no editing!  This subtle, nuanced performance of "Autumn Leaves," music and lyrics by the wonderful Johnny Mercer, as sung by Nat King Cole, is timeless.  There is just something about his voice that touches the deepest parts of my heart and soul.  I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. 

This time of year, I am remembering my beloved Mr. Don, who died on October 12, 2012.  So many wonderful , but wistful, memories, and now, this song is imparted with so much more meaning for me.



I didn't think "autumn fever" would strike this year.  But, lo and behold, it did.  I was sitting at the dinette table one morning and decided I needed to bring in the season.  And so I rummaged around in all of my as yet unpacked boxes in the "wreck" room (finished basement area with a man-cave bar and set-up for a massive flat-screen TV on the wall that Mr. Don would have loved) and eventually unearthed my autumnal decorations and decor.

I also made a quick trip to the Family Dollar store just two blocks away, and picked up a wreath, as I wanted to put an autumnal/Thanksgiving themed wreath on my front door this year.  I also picked up a few other items, because I intended to "supplement" the wreath and also add a few dashes of autumnal color around the house.


Above is a more or less 12" diameter "autumnal" wreath I bought at the Family Dollar.  It was $3.99, which I thought pricey for the product (this is NOT an "everything is a dollar" store,) but I did like the faux fruit on the wreath and the pine cones.  Next to it you can see part of the two sprays of autumnal leaves I bought to try and dress the wreath up a bit.

 
Above are the two autumnal sprays I bought; in the upper portion of the photo you can see a little ceramic pumpkin  and part of a glittery (sequined) pumpkin that were purchased last year to dress up the mantle/mantel at the former Maison Newton.  Also present, you can see part of one of three flameless battery-operated wax candles that cast a lovely glow when it's dark outside!


And some votive candles and a spool of gold French ribbon.  I thought I  might use it on the wreath, but in the end, I didn't.  I'm sure I'll use it elsewhere, and you can't beat the price!

I also bought this really cute candy dish/spoon rest in the shape of a squirrel (I am very fond of squirrels):


She will stay out all year on my counter, near the tea kettle. 

I also bought a cute little pair of squirrel salt and pepper shakers which, inexplicably, there is no photo.  But you'll see them soon -- the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment