Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, February 21, 2019

HGTV "My Favorite Room" - the Look for Less Jan's Way! Part III

Hola!  Here's the final part of this "look for less" - covering hunting for the black and white throw pillows/cushions.  After going through my initial selections, I narrowed it down to the five below.  I also calculated the amount of the room I would furnish with the pieces I selected versus the HGTV picks.

Part I -  Sofa, Chair and Art
Part II - Area Rug and Coffee Table

I have some favorite places to go when looking for pillow covers:  H&M, Ikea and Bed, Bath & Beyond.  But this time I didn't find anything that rang my chimes in terms of trying to be true to the prints on the pillows used in Cynthia Smith's living room.  I also tried Society6, Amazon, etc.  I ended up selecting most of the pillows (not covers) from Wayfair.

To refresh, here is the original room and HGTV's picks for some of the items in the rooms to achieve the same look:





My goal in pillow shopping was to try and capture the overall "feel" and scale of the two printed pillow covers on Charlotte Smith's sofa, as well as looking for 18 or 20 inch sizes, as the pillows used look to be the same height or even slightly taller as the back of the sofa and side cushions.

This pillow pattern was my number one favorite, and also cost more than the HGTV pick - so definitely NOT the look for less!  But considering the much lower amount I spent on everything else, I thought I'd splurge:  This is the Fenella Floral Pillow in Black and White, offered by The Pillow Collection.  The 18" square size is $59.95.  The 20" size is $67.95.  The pattern is on both sides of the pillow. Pictured below:




And since I broke my own rules (above) once, why not do it twice?  I really like this pillow cover - but it's NOT a black print!  EEK!  I'd buy it anyway if I were recreating Charlotte Smith's living room for myself :)  From H&M Home, simply identified as Patterned Cushion Cover - White/Leaves!  A true budget saving $12.99 for a 20" x 20" pillow cover with concealed zipper opening.  Pictured below:


And I broke the rules a third time, wowsers.  This pillow cost $56.99 in the 20" x 20" size, the Wild Leaves Throw Pillow by Julia LaRosa, Deny Designs, available at Wayfair.  Pictured below:  


And I broke my rules again for this pillow.  Oh what the heck, go wild girl friend!  This selection, also from Wayfair, is the Chidley Floral Print Linen Throw Pillow by Red Barrel Studio, at $54.99 on sale for the 20" x 20" size.  Pictured below:



Another rule breaker found at Wayfair, Valentina Ramos Bird Throw Pillow, Deny Designs, $46.99 for the 20" x 20" size.  Pictured below:


The Final Tally

HGTV's tally includes: (1) sofa, $1,895; (2) chair, $899; (3) art, $189; (4) area rug, $420; (5) coffee table, $251; and (6) two throw pillows, $80.  Total:  $3,734.

My tally includes: (1) my preferred sofa (the bench seat sofa), rounded to $800; (2) chair, Quinton Arm Chair, rounded to $266; (3) art, 27" x 36" poster/print, rounded to $27.50 plus $20 estimated for a properly sized width set of black aluminum poster hangers, $47.50; (4) area rug, Tuscan Wool Moroccan Shag Rug, $286, because I don't like fringe or tassels on area rugs; (5) the used LaBarge coffee table at $250, which captured my heart; and (6) Fenella floral throw pillow, rounded to $68, the H&M Home green patterned pillow cover, rounded to $13, and the Ramos Bird throw pillow, rounded to $47.  I opted for 3 throw pillows, all 20" square size, why limit myself?  Total: $1,777.50.  

Success! I enjoyed the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment