Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Love My Amanda Jeans

How long had it been, how many years of frustration of not being able to find jeans that fit decently?  At least 10!  I would go shopping, determined to not come home until I found a pair of jeans that fit decently -- you know, something that didn't cost over $50 a pair -- and would come home, defeated.

Levis - didn't fit in the waist; Lee jeans, which were marketed specifically at women my age as having a "relaxed" fit, didn't fit very well either.  If they fit in the waist, they were way the hell too big everywhere else; if they fit in the hips and butt and gave me the slim leg profile I craved, I couldn't get them zipped.  ARGGGGGGHHHHH!

I refused to get those elastic waist pull-up fake jeans that grannies sometimes wear!

And then, one day, my sister Darlene and I went shopping and she fast and furiously threw clothes at me to try on.  Lo and behold, brands and cuts that I had dismissed in the past actually fit - and looked good!  That was in 2002.  I bought my very first pair of Amanda jeans in dark blue stretch denim in size 16W at Penney's, and I never looked back.  Har :)


I am a faithful Amanda jeans wearer to this day.  And - funny true story -- a few weeks ago on the bus one morning going to work, one of the regular ladies got on.  We started chatting.  She said "I got these new jeans on and I really like them."  I looked at them and said "Amanda jeans by Gloria Vanderbilt."  She was astounded!

"How did you know that?"  she asked.  Rather than trying to impress her with my psychic abilities, I told her that I recognized the particular material that Gloria Vanderbilt uses to construct the Amanda style jeans!  I knew them because I wear the same jeans!  Her most popular jeans are made of a dark blue denim with a bit of stretch to them.  In some of the material runs, there is a slight striated effect that makes the jeans look like they are just a wee bit faded. 

Clothing is still cut according to models from the 1950's, and rarely is clothing cut (let alone styled) to fit the figure of a post-menopausal woman, who through no fault of her own, due to hormonal changes, thickens through the waist.  That 36-24-36 that is supposed to be the "average" American woman?  What a joke!  Has the industry checked in lately with any woman over the age of 50?  60?  The thing about Amanda jeans is that they are cut to fit real women's figures!

That's why Amanda jeans are such great sellers.  When they go on sale, stores cannot keep them in stock.  The short cut fits me perfectly without having to roll up the cuffs (a look I detest - farmer from the 1950's style is not mine).  When that pair of Amanda jeans 16W my sister thrust at me fit and looked good - no flesh overspilling the waistband, no waistband rolling, not too long, not too shore, I found Jeans Nirvana! 

Now I've graduated "down" to Amanda misses' short 16 (shed two inches or so from the waistline) and they still fit perfectly.  In August I purchased two new pair on sale at Kohls - that dark blue faintly striated look and a blue washed look.  Love love love my Amanda jeans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment