Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Tearing Apart My Bedroom - 7

Now I remember how come I stopped doing this redecorating stuff all those years ago.  It's too much work!

The curtains have been ironed and swapped out. Up and down that step ladder again and again. Hang the lace underpanel.  Hang one to the floor panel. Hang the other side of the to the floor panel.  Times two.  The only thing worse than ironing curtains is struggling to get them on curtain rods and then trying to get the rods on the hooky things - brackets?  Whatever they're called...

But that's done.  FINALLY!  The step ladder is still in the bedroom but it's folded up and out of the way for now.  I have been tinkering around with the "look" of this blog.  I like using the pic of Maison Newton but I have no idea why it's so LARGE!  Oh well.  I will probably be changing the colors around until I find something I like.

Soooo - here is what the room looks like right now.  Still a work in progress...  I sure lied when I wrote a few days ago that I wouldn't be adding any more photos of the bedroom until I was ready for the BIG REVEAL.  Har :) 


Wrinkles!  I'll see whether those wrinkles "fall out" as promised.  Love the look of that canopy and how it obscures the "empty" corner area behind the headboard (a hanging starburst in that area would look fabulous, wouldn't it?), but even though it is very airy and translucent it takes up a lot of "space" visually.  So, I'm thinking about folding it back on to itself so it's only a half canopy, around the head of the bed more or less, leaving open the lines of sight into and across the bedroom from the entry and three corners.  This photo shows that the white in my new comforter and shams is white white, not cream.  When I was taking down the cream and black Waverly toile curtains I threw the tie-backs on the bed and the contrast between the "whites" was amazing.  I wasn't wrong to call those toile curtains "yellow."  I'm pretty sure the white-cream lamp that I moved from the guest room will go back there.  It just doesn't show to advantage in this room.  Maybe the brown lamo will work, after all!


This photo looks toward the window on the west wall.  Believe it or not, I did clean up the room more after I took the "before" photos a few days ago, but yeah, there's still junk on top of my dresser!  Don't those "boudoir" lamps look gorgeous!  The ambiance created by the light through those "tan" shades at night is just awesome.  This shot also gives you a look at the new window treatment with the old curtains.  I don't have tie backs and not sure I'm going to jerry-rig any out of ribbon or seam binding.  The lace panel underneath creates a wonderful shadowy effect on the semi-sheer to the floor panels and the effect would disappear if I used tie-backs.  Geez, Ma, see how fashionable I am?  those floor length panels are actually touching the floor!


A peek-a-boo look!  Do you see what I mean about the transparency of the canopy yet it still takes up a lot of "space?"  But tonight, I'm looking forward to camping out in my bed!  Visually, the wall space has been all chopped up with this furniture re-arrange.  There's much less open wall space to hang anything -- and what I have in my cache is all disjointed.  I've got cheapy gold frames and cheapy black and gold plastic frames that are nearly old enough to be antiques now (geez), and some cheapy brown wood frames in the upstairs hallway that old some favorite photos printed in black and white; and then there are my wonderful $5 wood frames that I bought at Walgreens.  Not available anymore, alas!  I've got four of them in brown hanging in the living room, and five (yes, five) of them in black in the upstairs bathroom.  There's another three in brown in the "den" spare room that right now hold black and white prints of photos Mr. Don took of Times Square at sunset during our first trip to New York City in 2005.  Well, I'll cobble something together.  I'm not sure my large bird pic that used to hang above the bed will fit in now.  I've also got a wonderful photo of my honorary "Sis" and her daughter and I, taken by Mr. Don during Christmas, 2008 when we visited them in Las Vegas.  I want that in my bedroom, it's special.



I love how the draped bed looks in this photo!  The look of the lamp from the guest room - meh. Think I'll move the brown one back into my bedroom - tonight.  My lamp dilemma is not close to being solved.  I may resort to the spray paint route after all...

It's hard to tell from this pic, but the scalloped comforter edge is trimmed in black and white striped cord.  I cheated when I put on the new bedding.  Despite having flipped over the mattress and putting the new mattress pad on, I did not remove the old bedskirt arrangement.  This comforter set came with a black and white thin-striped tailored bedskirt.  It looks flimsy.  It's still in the package.  I kept the same bedskirts from "before."  There is an "old" bedskirt that I borrowed from the black and cream paisley print comforter set that resides in the guest room (the guest room has a long black ruffled bedskirt instead) and a circa 1986 ruffled eyelet white bedskirt -- yet another purchase from Penney's.  Before I got my new mattress and box spring, that eyelet bedskirt used to touch the floor!

No more decorating for the rest of the week.  I'm just going to stew about what I want to do to finish up the room.  Art work and wall decor.  What lamp to use on the night stand.  Maybe I need a different, taller, night stand.  Should I slipcover the old wing chair?  It's color was called "wood rose" when I bought it back in 1986 at Penney's (I've bought a lot of stuff at Penney's, geez).  I think it's fine as it is but if I want to introduce a different color into the bedroom to give it some much-needed pop now that the toile curtains have been banished, "wood rose" probably won't cut it.

I am not at all sure, either, that this will be the final configuration of my bedroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment