Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tearing Apart My Bedroom - Part 5

Oh Goddess, I'm so tired!  Here it is, nearly 9:30 p.m. already. 

Well, I have made some progress today on the bedroom re-do, despite my very late start.  That's what I get for staying up way past my bedtime and finally crashing and burning sometime after 1:30 a.m....

Today I flipped the mattress on my bed.  That is not easy for one person to do, let me tell you!  But I am a STRONG woman, if nothing else :)  And determined, too.  Some call me crazy-stubborn. Hmmm....

So, I got the mattress flipped.  Then I put on the brand new super-duper matress pad/cover.  I have to say, I like it!  I removed the old.  The problem with it is that, while the top is still puffy, the "sides" that are so crucial to tucking it around the mattress were somehow partially burnt at some point in my old dryer (long story that I won't go into...) and ever since I've not been able to get it tucked properly around my "new" (purchased in 2001 or 2002) 16 inch deep mattress.  It probably would have not fit even in it's healthy state; it was made for the old-fashioned mattresses that used to be like 12 to 14 inches deep.  Sigh. 

"New" position for the chair.  Funny, I moved it from this position
not to long ago ago...  Bureau mainains its position to the left of the
walk-in closet door.  I bought this chair in 1986 and it's a little saggy now but still comfortable!
So, now, what the hell do I do with this still perfectly good puffy top mattress cover with the burnt-out side tuck-arounds?  I don't want to trash it!  Do I cut off the good part and try to sew it on to the not so puffy top of the mattress topper in the guest bedroom?  Well, that's the thought, anyway...  I will serge it on top of the not so great but still fits guest room mattress topper with a double row of stitching all the way around, and use up all of my really ancient white thread in the process!  What the hell, in for a penny, in for a pound, as the ancient saying goes.
 My bed is now made up with the new mattress topper, the new comforter and the new pillow shams! 

The new furniture arrangement - more or less.  Triple dresser is now on the opposite wall from
where it was!  Bed is angled in the corner opposite from the wall where it used to be. Ditto, chair.
The new furniture arrangement is shown in these photos.  It may be tweaked further.  For instance, should the bedhead be more "centered" on the corner of the room?  Should the triple dresser be pushed further toward the window on the left?  Should I move the chair from the corner to across the room (near the mini-hallway) to anchor the other side of the nightstand?

Oh, that nightstand.  It's too damn short!  I love it, but it's too damn short.  Of course, when I first bought the en suite in 1976 or 1977, there was no such thing as a 16-inch deep mattress! Not to mention a 16-inch deep box spring.  Oy!   I went from an original 22 inches to 32 inches when I got a new mattress and box spring in 2002.  And now I think I need a new set (that's another story...)

The new location of the nightstand - to my left side (I'm left handed).
You'll notice I moved the bed with all of the crap still on top of it.  LOL! 
I moved the Dream Machine clock radio from the opposite side of the room,
so I unplugged it and it was unplugged for quite a while.  But, when I
plugged it in to its new socket, it perfectly showed the current time.
Scary, scary machine!  As you can see, the nightstand is now much too
short to match-up with the height of modern-day mattress/box spring combos!
Well, that's a problem for another day.  I'm ready to crash and burn - it's well after 10 p.m. now.  Where did the day go?  My newly made-up bed looks great!  I didn't take the toile curtains down yet... Art work?  Where to hang - and what? 

No more pics of bedroom-in-progress until the FINAL REVEAL is ready to fly.  [I lied -- I've posted lots more pics since this original blog.]
After: Looks crowded.  But it really isn't! Look, Mom, I really do own a vacuum.

New bed and nightstand position. Bad photo! I moved the new lamp to it.
I love the new lamp, but it just doesn't go...

No comments:

Post a Comment