Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fall Mantle!

Debbie Dabble is my inspiration.  I wouldn't have done this, except for Debbie.

Getting Ready for Fall
September 6, 2012

I did a half-joking post at her blog recently about all the "fall" and "autumn" mantles I was seeing in the blogosphere, and wrote that I would throw some half-rotted leaves, the old piece of half-rotted wood I rescued from the yard earlier this year, and a few other things, to put together an autumnal-themed mantle.

LOL!

I did so - but I left out the rotted leaves.  For now, anyway.

After I did my "fall mantle" thing earlier today, I visited Debbie's blog again just a few moments ago while sipping some wine out on my deck, sprinkler going (we're still in a drought here in southeastern Milwaukee County, Wisconsin), and she has lots of pretty pictures of her autumnal decorations around her beautiful abode.  Debbie doesn't hold back when she decorates for the seasons, and best of all, she has the full support of her husband in doing so.  I also appreciate her choice of background music (Diana Krall "When Autumn Leaves Start to Fall" playing right now, sigh).  Thanks Debbie, I needed that.

Autumn In the Living Room
September 12, 2012

So, darlings, here's my version of the Autumnal Mantle, TA DA!










Look!  I caught the Goddess holding the Moom above Her head looking back at me in the mirror!  Like, WOW!

Mantle components:

  • The bare frame and round mirrors and metal basket-weave sculpture were already up; also existing components are the plant, the little leopard print-shade lamp behind the t.v. and the t.v. itself
  • Metal candlestick and Goddess swirl-sculpted candle already owned (borrowed from my front room desk)
  • Owl, one of a pair gifted to me by one of my sisters (Darlene) years ago, spray painted white (turned out cream because the spray paint was so old and/or due to the original fire-glazed brown finish on the owls).  I toyed around with putting both owls on the mantle but couldn't get the balance to work. 
  • Floral "sprays" are clipped from my backyard earlier today -- seed pods on tall branches and bare branches of I have no idea what kind of wild flowers that have long since gone to seed!  They come back every year, that's all I can tell you.
  • Fluted white vases holding the floral sprays are from the office -- prior years' gifts for "Secretary's Day" stashed away in a cabinet.
  • Wild wood -- it's not exactly "driftwood" since it wasn't found anywhere near a body of water, but it fell down at some point from one of my trees out back and started to rot away.  I found it earlier this summer, cleaned it up, and let it outside to dry. I then sprayed it with clear silicon to seal it.  I would like to mount it (similar to a sculpture on a pin anchored to a base) since it reminds me of a roe's horns that were worshipped as a sign of the Goddess in ancient Iran. The "V" stands for "Victory," who is also a Goddess, and for the female Delta -- our sacred area that leads to the creation of life.
And totally not planned, I managed to capture a photograph of the Goddess herself (in one of Her many manifestations. ahem) holding the Moon above Her head. There She is, in the mirror above my mantle!

P.S. Mantle or Mantel - spelled both ways according to my trusty Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (1974 or so edition). 

I'm linking to The Polohouse: Favorites on the First! Fall Decor
Also linking to Kristen's Creations Party #57, where my mantle will be the plainest Jane!

No comments:

Post a Comment