December 4, 2016: Hola everyone! Winter has arrived in Milwaukee and there are snow flurries today. Despite several hard freezes remarkably my "spikes" in two of my patio planters have absolutely refused to die. The rosemary and thyme plants I nursed inside the house through last winter spent the summer in their pot outside next to the side stoop off the driveway, where they get plenty of sunshine all day long. I transplanted them into a cozy sheltered spot right next to the stoop in October and they are still green and growing, too! With the delay in getting the drywall patching done in the relatively minor "reconstruction" work I had done in my kitchen, I am way behind my time in getting the house decorated. But yesterday I got my wreath decked out with extra lights and dressed the front door of the house, and my battery-operated traditional candles were put up on the window sills all around the house Friday evening. It becomes a ritual to go around at dusk and turn the tops to the right to turn the candles "on" and at bedtime to go around and turn the tops to the left to turn the candles "off." Today I put some "glittery" throw pillow covers purchased new last month from H&M on three of my sofa pillows to glam things up a bit in the living room and add some sparkle. Later on, after I sufficiently fuel myself up with wine and snacks and probably to distract myself while I listen to the Packers game on the radio, I will huff and puff and pull my artificial tree up from storage in the basement. I will decorate it simply this year. Every year I say that, and every year I end up throwing just about everything except the kitchen sink on the tree. I am very proud of myself this year, though. I did not buy a single new ornament or Christmas doo-dad for the house (throw pillow covers don't count!!!) Happy Holidays to all, with hope and fervent prayers for 2017. I've a feeling we're all going to need a lot of help from Goddess in the coming year. Jan

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spray Painting Leaves

Hi Everyone.

I apologize in advance to the blogger whose site I visited but did not note the url.  She had put together an autumnal theme using real leaves she had bleached to a ghostly effect.  They were really cool!  But fragile.  Her idea of bleaching leaves gave me the idea that ultimately led to - taking a short-cut. What follows is the progression of my not-always-logical-thoughts:

I thought perhaps I might be able to do the same thing myself, only quicker than soaking the leaves in a pan of bleach overnight and then drying them out, and perhaps by-passing the fragility thing...  Ha!  Ha ha ha!  Joke on me. 

I first tried painting a bleach/water solution on to the leaves with a water color brush and letting them dry on newspapers spread out over my kitchen counters.  No change in color occurred.  Then I tried painting on straight bleach.  Nope, no change in color with that method either.

I'm not particularly patient.  Without doing any internet research on the subject, I decided after about an hour or so of futzing around with bleach and leaves to go for the gusto.  I collected many more wet fallen leaves on my front lawn and driveway (it was stormy outside last weekend and windy, there were a lot of leaves from which to choose).  I set up a spray paint area in the garage, which for me consists of laying layers of newspaper over the concrete garage floor.  I then set the leaves down on the newspaper fairly close together and yet separated. 




I spray painted them one side at a time, first using hammered metallic bronze and then a few spritzes of gloss white on each side to finish them up.  I did NOT dry the leaves before spray painting; I thought the water droplets remaining on the leaves might give me an interesting effect, and I was also thinking that if I put enough spray paint on the leaves, some of that moisture might be trapped on the leaves and they wouldn't curl up and "die" in a day or two.






It didn't take long for the leaves to dry.  Because of all the moisture still in them, they were easy to manipulate.

I pulled out of my stash a large "champagne" shaped decorative glass, filled it with hazelnuts, and then stuck the leave stems in, one by one.  This is what I ultimately arrived at:




Close-up of the textured effect of spray paint over wet leaves.

Overall, I was very pleased with how my leaves turned out. 

Another close-up.  It is so cool how some of the leaves turned out looking ghostly, some turned out looking
gold, and some turned out bronze-colored.


 

2 comments:

  1. Jan,
    I apologize for not stopping by sooner but I have been so busy!!

    LOVE this idea!! The leaves look fantastic!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,

      Thanks so much for stopping by. I visited your site earlier in the week and saw how busy you were over your vacation! Whew, you tired me out with all of your home projects! I like how you swapped out the ceiling medallions and some of the accessories in your master and guest rooms. Isn't it amazing what just little changes can do! I will visit again soon. I have not visited your Christmas pages before, I am looking forward to that, but I'm not in the Christmasy mood yet, that usually doesn't hit me until after Thanksgiving!

      Take care of yourself!

      Jan

      Delete