Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Look for Less: Ballard Design's Calais Bedroom 3

Shopping for the ottoman.



The inspiration ottoman (image above) is the Louis XVI ottoman, and I selected one in queens velvet teal with a walnut brown finish, price: $534.00.  It is a generous size: 19" tall by 43 1/4" long by 22 1/2" deep.  It has turned legs and a tufted top.

It took me a little while shopping to find something I thought was similar enough yet reasonably priced!  First I went to Home Decorators, then I went to Wayfair, com.  I did not find what I was looking for at either place!

Next, I stopped at Target online, where I found what I think is a great match for a great price:



Button Tufted Upholstered Bench in Navy Linen
Dimensions: 18.0 " H x 49.5 " W x 20.0 " D
Price:  $299.99 (not including shipping)

The Target ottoman is 1 inch shorter and about 6 inches wider than the inspiration ottoman, and 2 inches less deep.  I love the color and the size, and the look is very similar to the Inspiration ottoman, but it does not have wood trim around the bottom of the cushion and these legs are chunkier, more rounded in appearance and shorter than the legs on the inspiration ottoman.

I stopped at this ottoman.  The size is close.  Many of the tufted ottomans I saw are too short, or are square, more like for usage as a cocktail table or footstool rather than a "bench" at the foot of a bed.  Don't think I'm going to find any better for this price :)  I couple ottomans were nearly the right size, but were covered in faux leather and/or had straight legs.

I do want to post this honorable mention from Grandinroad.com:


This is the Chesterfield Tufted Ottoman in Sea Glass.  It did not come in a darker blue, but it does come in "Neutral," which might be a safer choice than this image which appears pale blue but might tend toward green-blue -- one can never really be sure exactly what the color unless ordering a material swatch ahead of time or sticking with a pale neutral.  The size is generous:  Chesterfield Tufted Ottoman (61016): 48"W x 28"D x 18"H, 29 lbs.  So, it is about 4 inches longer and a whopping 5 1/2" wider than the inspiration ottoman, and one inch shorter.  I fell in love with all of that tufting on the top, as well as the wonderful upholster's tacked finish.  Best of all is the price: $249.00, not including shipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment