Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Look for Less: Ballard Design's Calais Bedroom 6

Shopping for a lamp!

I didn't think it would be this hard, but it is, oh my, it is.  A reminder of the beautiful inspiration lamp from Ballard Designs:


This is the Salerno Urn Table Lamp, 26" high, with a 16" round drum shade in cream, for $139.  The lamp alone (which is a wood lamp) is $99.

I have not come up with many alternatives.  Here is one I found that I really like.  It does have a drum shade (although not in cream) and it is an urn-shaped lamp (but not in wood).  From Home Decorators online:


She sure is pretty, though -- I love her curvy base :)  This is the Rhea Table Lamp for $99.  It is 24" tall in a brown (distressed) finish and I believe the shade is 13" in diameter, so it is smaller than Salerno's 26" and 16" round shade.  The shade appears to have a texture like burlap.  I don't know exactly what the lamp base is made of -- I did not see it listed at the website, but I assume it is some kind of composite material.  I like the look just as it is, but for a lighter base one could try some watered-down homemade chalk paint perhaps... 

Does this lamp look familiar:


This is the Aline Table Lamp also from Home Decorators online.  It's much larger than the inspiration lamph, but very similar.  Aline measures in at a whopping 34" tall, with an 18" drum shade.  The price: $179.  The base is wood.  A 34" tall lamp on a bedside table, probably not...

I also found the Ottsman Table Lamp at Home Decorators online:


"This table lamp is expertly crafted of resin in an antique balluster finish for old world charm. The off-white linen shade includes decorative printed images of French monuments and cursive writing."  I'd say that shade ties in with the Calais look... The Ottsman is 27.5" tall and has a 15" round shade, for $119.00.  The base finish is "antique wood."

That didn't seem so difficult, did it... but when I tried finding similar lamps for the same or a lower price ($139) of the inspiration lamp at other venues, I just didn't have luck at all.  I saw plenty of lamps I really liked, but they were, in many cases, pretty far removed from the look of the inspiration lamp. I was stretching it as it was, although the lamps could, as I noted, have their bases lightened with chalk paint (or your other finish of choice) for the white-washed look of the inspiration lamp; or, they were ridiculously expensive!  Who would pay $500 for a lamp?  But - some people must, otherwise the lamps would never be listed at that price!  Guess I'm just a cheapskate.

I looked at Wayfair and didn't find a single choice!  I looked at Sears online and didn't find anything, either.  I looked at Target online.  Bellecor (forget that idea!)  Straight google searches.  Ach!  I checked out Kirkland's online.  I found a lamp I really like -- but it has nothing to do with urn shape, darlings :)  I tried Boston Store - nope. 

And so, I give up.  Hopefully you will like one of my suggested alternatives; but if you find something that's a good match for a good price, would appreciate you letting me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment