Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Old Plate: I Found the Mark!

Okay, instead of cleaning out the garage and getting it ready for the rummage sale, I just cannot resist trying to solve a mystery.




So, instead of cutting the grass out front and continuing the cleaning up of the garage to get ready to stage the rummage sale, I took another good hard look at the mark on the back of the old plate (see prior post), and wrote down some possible combinations of letters and/or numbers that the first row (in a larger type-set) might possibly be.

I was pretty sure the first letter was a C with a period after it.

The next letter could be a P or a B.

Then there were two more marks, possibly a zero (0) and a 9; or a Q and a 9.

With that little bit of information, I started doing some google searches.  I found a plate on offer at E-bay that said it had a mark on the back a crown with a C.P. 09.  Sounded like mine!  No picture of the mark was given, though.  And no information about the company whose mark it is!  So I moved on in my search.  Lo and behold, it didn't take long, I came across this website and there was my mark!  Here is information about the mark:

From your description the marks sounds like the Crown Pottery Company. The mark is a Crown with CPCo. They were in operation from 1902 to 1962 in Evansville, Indiana, producing Majolica, Ironstone, semi-porcelain, and white granite. Here is a good look at the mark (from Kovels):



You can see from the mark that the Co ("o" underscored) might be mistaken for a zero (0) or a Q and a 9.  LOL!  Technically, I suppose the plate could have been made in Evansville, Indiana and sold in Canada as a souvenir, but I think my imagination was probably wrong on that score.

I suspect my plate is "ironstone" -- only because of the rust bloom underneath the glaze!  It definitely is not Majolica, and it's not fine enough to be semi-procelain.  I've no idea what white granite is, I selected ironstone like I said, because of the rust discoloration and the plate has some heft to it, but where the finish was chipped I can see the underlying material is coarse. 

I don't know that I'll have any luck tracking down the pattern.  I'll do a little more digging around and then give it up. 

Meanwhile...

Miss Mustard Seed collects ironstone!  At her website I found this little tidbit:

Is all ironstone white?No. Ironstone pieces can have “transferware” patterns in all colors printed on them or a painted blurry blue design called “Flow Blue.” 

Flow blue -- sounds like the border area around my plate!  But maybe not, hmmm...  I found this information via a link at Miss Muster Seed's post about white ironstone: 

Flow Blue is ironstone with a blue design, either a transfer pattern or hand painted brush stroke, that has been fired in an atmosphere containing volatile chlorides which has caused the design to blur or bleed into the clear over-glaze.

So, I'm going to see what I find as far as images of flow blue ironstone, and see if I can find anything that bears a resemblance to my plate. 

Meanwhile...

After looking at several images of flow blue ironstone, I don't think what I have is flow blue, but I think it is ironstone.

Meanwhile...

Nope, I did not find my pattern.  I checked at replacements.com, the likeliest place to find one, as they have an extensive inventory of Crown Potteries Company patterns.  I need to take a nap now!

4 comments:

  1. You remind me of ME, lol...my son just inherited an old pasta machine from his grandmother and is going to send pictures ( grandma on his dad's side from a 1st marriage so I am not familiar with the machine ) and I imagine I'll spend days trying to figure out how old it was or the history of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe we're distant cousins, cuz we both live in small houses and we both LUV squirrels. Those photos of the young and bold/curious squirrel you had at your website about the changes you made to your late summer porch are just precious. I know a lot of people don't like squirrels AT ALL. But I even tolerate them digging in my planter pots occasionally out on the deck. The chipmunks do much more "damage" to them, though. My squirrels know I'll be there at certain times of the day to feed them. Most of the chippies haven't caught on to that yet. It takes them longer to get with the feeding program, so to speak :) That makes me public enemy number one to some of my neighbors around here, though. Sigh. Oh well. The squirrels are sooo entertaining, I'm not going to give up feeding them and watching their antics out in the yard.

      Delete
  2. Hope your having a great day and enjoying the squirrels. I once hand feed and raised 3 orphaned squirrels that were not as big as your little finger when they first came tumbling out of one of my trees. Their nest was hidden in a ball of Mistletoe and when the tree people cut that limb off they rolled onto my roof and the "fun" began. They all survived to be eventually released into the back yard.

    I have a small Crown Pottery pitcher with the markings you show with a 9 32 date? I was wondering if in general you think these old pieces have much monetary value? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Hathor! I can't imagine trying to raise such tiny little babies on my own. Kudos to you. I am so happy the babies made it to junior-hood and were able to go back into the environment to which they were born. I once sent an electric company crew packing, way back in early November 2001 (it was very mild that year in SE Wisconsin, and the warmth lasted all the way through the second week or so of December) when they came to "trim" the gigantic old Chinese elm outside my kitchen window. It overhung electrical and other wires, but I sent them packing because they wanted to cut off a limb that housed a large squirrels' nest and I knew Momma Squirrel was in there. The head arborist thought I was nuts, but he left, and they never returned. Sadly, when I sold the house in June 2014 the new owners had the tree removed because it was a giant and Mr. Buyer was terrified (chickenshit!) that the tree would somehow fall over on the house. It had stood through several seasons of 100 mph plus storms and never budged but - whatever. I was no longer the owner. Fortunately, the squirrels had long since moved out. I cannot help you regarding the age or potential value of your plate. I recommend that you try checking to see if anything similar is available on e-bay and see what they are being offered at, as a start. I know that many auction sites online are subscriber only and they often want to extract some kind of "membership fee" from one, which I refuse to pay. You could try it the old fashioned way, since you have a photo and so much info on your plate -- go to your local public library and ask the librarian for help. There are books available that show photos and known sales prices of hundreds of thousands of such items. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete