December 4, 2016: Hola everyone! Winter has arrived in Milwaukee and there are snow flurries today. Despite several hard freezes remarkably my "spikes" in two of my patio planters have absolutely refused to die. The rosemary and thyme plants I nursed inside the house through last winter spent the summer in their pot outside next to the side stoop off the driveway, where they get plenty of sunshine all day long. I transplanted them into a cozy sheltered spot right next to the stoop in October and they are still green and growing, too! With the delay in getting the drywall patching done in the relatively minor "reconstruction" work I had done in my kitchen, I am way behind my time in getting the house decorated. But yesterday I got my wreath decked out with extra lights and dressed the front door of the house, and my battery-operated traditional candles were put up on the window sills all around the house Friday evening. It becomes a ritual to go around at dusk and turn the tops to the right to turn the candles "on" and at bedtime to go around and turn the tops to the left to turn the candles "off." Today I put some "glittery" throw pillow covers purchased new last month from H&M on three of my sofa pillows to glam things up a bit in the living room and add some sparkle. Later on, after I sufficiently fuel myself up with wine and snacks and probably to distract myself while I listen to the Packers game on the radio, I will huff and puff and pull my artificial tree up from storage in the basement. I will decorate it simply this year. Every year I say that, and every year I end up throwing just about everything except the kitchen sink on the tree. I am very proud of myself this year, though. I did not buy a single new ornament or Christmas doo-dad for the house (throw pillow covers don't count!!!) Happy Holidays to all, with hope and fervent prayers for 2017. I've a feeling we're all going to need a lot of help from Goddess in the coming year. Jan

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Part 2: I Nearly Strangled Myself With A Duvet Cover

My Brilliant Idea.  Isn't that the name of a movie???  Should  have shot myself when I had the chance - 'cept I don't own a gun.  I don't think a squirt gun would quite do it.

Brilliant Idea:  USE A WHITE DUVET COVER UNDERNEATH THE WHITE-ISH IKEA DUVET COVER TO HIDE THE WHITE-ISH JACQUELYN SMITH COMFORTER!

I eagerly dived into my (am proud to say), organized but much smaller linen closet than I used to have at the former Maison Newton, so I donated a lot of things and guess what -- my full-sized plain white duvet cover was one of them.  BUT --

I still have a twin size plain white duvet cover.

No, you're saying, oh no Jan, you didn't. YOU DIDN'T!

Yes, I did.

What's that song -- you put the spell on me, baby, ooohhhh oooooooowwhhooo, you put the spell on me...



The Ikea duvet was calling my name, and I was powerless to resist.  I hauled out that twin-sized white duvet cover, and ironed the heck out of it:


And ironed, and ironed, and ironed...  Seems no matter what I did, more wrinkles appeared than disappeared.  Hmmm....

I finally gave up and hauled it into the mistress bedroom and proceeded to wrestle with -- are you ready for this -- a DIFFERENT COMFORTER -- that I pulled out of storage, cuz I knew my Jacquelyn Smith comforter would not fit into the twin size white duvet cover.  So, nope, I instead used a big fat puffy but somewhat smaller "full" size of comforter -- black and beige paisley print on one side, beige and black stripes on the other --


And then I huffed, and I stuffed, and I fluffed, and puffed and - actually, I huffed and puffed a lot.  Eventually, I got to this:


At this point, I asked myself "Why on earth would anyone want to sleep in a bed that looks like this???"

But, I am nothing, if not stiff-necked stubborn determined, and so I persevered.  By the time I got the duvet looking half-way smooth, I was exhausted.  Too tired to wrestle with the Ikea duvet cover, which was already filling me with deep forboding of what was to come, I fluffed and huffed and stuffed and puffed up the pillows and went to bed with things more or less looking like this:


It doesn't look too bad (from a distance), but it's wrinkled.  I don't like wrinkles.

I thought about nixing the entire idea of duvet covers, and hemmed and hawed for several days.  The covered comforter was unceremoniously tossed into the guest room the next morning and I returned my beloved Jacquelyn Smith comforter to its rightful bed in the boudouir.  If this was going to work at all, I needed to get a full size white cover for my Jacquelyn Smith comforter to try and hide the black toile pattern.

So, after girding my figurative loins, I went shopping online.

I ultimately purchased a full/queen size comforter set (came with two pillow covers) at Overstock for $29.99 -- microfibre.  It IS very soft and silky feeling, I'll say that for the product, and it arrived within about a week (standard shipping).

I laundered it THREE times -- and still could not remove the smut that was on it -- a supposedly brand new duvet cover arrived looking like it had spent some hard time in a bordello.  Oh come on, I thought, that will wash out!  Oxy-Clean gets out everything!

WRONG.

You say - why did you not return it?  I say - why would I pay more to ship it back than it's worth?

At least I know now it is clean.  The final time, I put it on extra-super-duper wash (tap water temperature) and I added a smidegon of bleach to the water despite I should not use it on microfiber.  Didn't make any difference. The smut was still there when it came out of the washer.  I'm thinking if I ever now wash it in hot water, it will dissolve...

But, I assured myself, since I would be wrapping this within the lovely Ikea duvet cover, some sanitized smut wouldn't make any difference...

No comments:

Post a Comment