Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

HGTV "My Favorite Room" - The Look for Less Jan's Way! Part II

Hola!  Part I has my picks for the sofa and the floral print chair.  In Part II, I'm presenting my picks for the area rug and the coffee table.

To refresh, here is the beautiful living room of Charlotte Smith from "atcharlotteshouse.com" blog, and the items that HGTV picked out to duplicate part of the room in its March 2019 magazine:




In the first part of this post, I showed you my picks for a less expensive green velvet sofa and a pink/red/green floral print arm chair.  Now the area rug and the coffee table!  

The Rug

HGTV's pick was a 8' x 10' reasonably priced wool rug with tassels (the rug in Charlotte's Smith living room has tassels) at $420 from birchlane.com.

From Rugs USA, this is the Marrakesh Shag Rug, hand-knotted 100% wool in the 8' x 10' size, $296 with free shipping.  The color is a creamy white with what appears to be black to create the diamond pattern and tassels.  Pictured (partially) below:


Also from Rugs USA, a version without the hand-tied tassels in the Tuscan Wool Moroccan Shag Rug, 8' x 10', $286. Pictured (partially) below:


There are also options at Overstock.com for lower prices (some under $200), but it's hard to tell in some cases if they're black and white/cream or a grey color and white/cream.  Here is one option in wool and one in synthetic (a lot lower price):

NuLoom Handmade Moroccan Trellis Wool Shag Rug, ivory/black, 8' x 10', $409.99
Strick and Bolton Saura Moroccan Trellis Shag Area Rug, made from polypropolene, white/black (?), 7'10" x 10', $179.99

The Coffee Table

I love, Love, LOVE Charlote Smith's coffee table.  It looks like a vintage or antique brass table, or it is a very good reproduction.  Even the thick glass that tops it has the hexagonal shape!

I think HGTV's pickers did a great job in selecting a good match for that great coffee table, and at a reasonable price, at $251.  The metal work on the lower part of the table echos the duplicates the hexagonal shape of the original and the design of the legs is very similar.  I also appreciate the use of the brass finish.  Isn't it funny how just a few years ago, NOBODY wanted anything BRASS in their homes.  Now it's once again the rage :)  Only goes to show you, decorate for yourself, don't just follow the latest trends. Classics like brass, polished nickle, black, white and marble are timeless.  

Now - to the hunt!  When I started looking around, I found that the coffee table in question looks like, or possibly even is, a vintage LaBarge brass crafted table.  It's still a mystery to me who LaBarge was (I didn't come across any biographical information) and when he produced his (her?) furniture, although I have seen references in passing to "Hollywood Regency" style, which was a popular design look in the 1930's and 1940's.  

 In any event, looking around, I found examples of alleged original LaBarge tables that look similar to the table in Charlotte Smith's living room that are priced over $2,000!  The table below costs $250 (with free shipping within the United States) and is used - I have no idea if this is a reproduction or if it is an actual LaBarge table, and if it is an actual LaBarge table, it could be worth a lot more money.  I found it online at Etsy, "Vintage Regency LaBarge Brass Hoof Coffee Table with Glass Top."  Look at those feet!  Pictured below:



I am wondering if Charlotte Smith's table may be an original LaBarge that had the animal feet removed?

At $250, my first selection costs $1.00 less than the Joss and Main "Jaidan" table HGTV selected as a great look-alike.

The next table I selected isn't a vintage offering, and maybe not to everyone's (or anyone's?) taste other than mine, but I thought it would work well in the overall design even if it isn't very faithful to the original table:

Found at Amazon, the 9081240gl 18"H Contemporary Style 5 mm Clear Tempered Glass Top Hexagonal Champagne Finish Metal Base Living Room Coffee Table, by Major Q, $169.80 with free shipping.  Table is 34" x 30".  Pictured below:



Differences:  No lower tier of beautifully sculpted metal curves around the hexagonal shape; the glass top is inset into the metal, not resting on top.  However, the glass is hexagonal in shape, not round like HGTV's selection.  The style is modern, not traditional, but I could see this design working in many different decors since it's very clean and sleek.  The metal finish looks somewhat "antique" or "vintage" too - it's not bright, new shiny brass.  I like the mellow look.

And here's a look within a look for less: The same table design by a different manufacturer, ACME, is available at Target on sale for $127.99, reg. $159.99 and at that these prices it will come with free shipping.  Even not on sale, it's nearly $11 less than the Amazon option.  

My next selection is a pair of nesting tables, also from Amazon, the Geometric Glass Nesting Coffee Table in gold finish, by WE Furniture (Walker Edison Furniture Company), $195.69 with free shipping.  The larger table is 28" diameter and 16" high.  Pictured below:



Differences:  Many!  The larger table is 28" diameter and 16" high. This is noticeably smaller than the original table at about 34" x 30" (depending which line you measure width on) for the glass top, or any of the suggested substitute tables.  The smaller table in this set is 18" diameter and 12" high.  The smaller table should fit underneath the larger table, adding an extra design/visual dimension depending upon how it's turned; and in a pinch, even though it's small, it can hold drinks and a few plates.  

In Part III, I'll share my selection of throw pillows.  I looked everywhere, and came up with six potential options.  But preferences for prints is very personal.  The ones I picked may turn a lot of people green, and vice versa, LOL!  I'll post Part III tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment