December 6, 2017:

Hola!

It's COLD here. Cold and windy. But the Sun has been out for the past 2 days so it's bright, and that helps me to bear the cold and the short days. Only 15 more days to Winter Solstice, and then each day, a few more minutes of daylight will magically begin to be added, and even though the cold and snow will continue, the "worst" will be over because I know we are over the hump and headed toward the Spring Equinox.

Meanwhile, I am busy decorating the tree. I dug out an old collage of photos from the former Maison Newton (above). Gosh, that was a beautiful fireplace. My current gel fuel fireplace is great, but no match for that large and lush gas fireplace in my former home. In my case, downsizing meant not only much less square footage and a single story (which IS nice), but no fireplace until I purchased my gel fuel fireplace. I love it, but there was only one wall I could put it on, and this current living room is much smaller than my former living room, so I sized the fireplace accordingly. (It was also much less expensive and did not need to be installed by professionals).

Yesterday I womaned up and muscled, huffed, puffed, cussed some, breathed heavily and heaved mightily to get my Christmas tree up the basement stairs and dragged into the living room, and then into position in front of the picture window overlooking the front of the house. Whew! Quite the work-out. But I wasn't ready this year to switch to a "single woman of a certain age" (4 foot tall) tree. Maybe next year...NAH!

Jan

Saturday, September 17, 2011

I can't believe I'm doing this...

But I AM! 

A conglomeration (is that a word?) of events coalesced to trigger some sort of post-menopausal hormonal overload and a paradigm shift - and here I am, starting a new blog.  I don't have time to do the original blog for Goddesschess, let alone all the other things I am supposed to be doing and/or taking care of on a daily basis.  Oh well!  As the titty said to the kitty, life is tough, kiddy.  LOL! 

The actual quote is, I believe, something like "Tough titty, said the Kitty, the milk tastes shitty."  I like paraphrasing where appropriate...

The Events That Conspired To Send Me Over The Edge...

(1)  Deciding to go to St. Louis for Goddesschess to attend various chessly events!
(2)  Finding Ari Seth Cohen's fabulous blog, Advanced Style, which features mostly (but not exclusively), older New Yorker natives dressed to the nines and loving every minute of their lives!
(3)  The coming and passing of my 60th birthday on August 19th.

So, perhaps two months ago (more?) - I went on the hunt for suitable clothes to wear to the St. Louis functions. I needed chic but casual, I needed a black dress and fancy shoes for the Saturday evening dinner of the Chess Collectors International that I would be attending, I needed a comfortable travel outfit, and I need to fit it all into one bag, which I would check. Suffice to say St. Louis sent me on a shopping frenzy, and that is how I found Advanced Style and also happened to get re-acquainted with Vogue magazine and all sort sof other things, while doing frantic searches for "clothes for older women." LOL! I will start copying those posts from the Goddesschess blog to here. They are closely akin to the subjects of the Goddesschess blog, but on the other hand, they are intimately intertwined with the entire Weave of Goddesschess, so I will leave them in place there.

Along the way I have found websites and blogs that I had no idea existed until I needed them - true inspirations!

So - I'm doing this entirely new blog for myself, and only for myself.  It's not for Goddesschess, it's not for our chessly group; it's all just for me. 

Am I getting selfish in my middle age?

No comments:

Post a Comment