Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Taking Care of My Skin

Hola darlings!

I do lots of things wrong when it comes to caring for my skin.  I don't use sunblock other than what's in my make-up -- using the regular stuff makes me break out in itchy rashes!  I drink alcoholic beverages (a big no no according to the Sages of Vogue).  I don't drink enough water.  I don't get enough sleep. 

This is all good advice - do the opposite of what I do, darlings - but you know, I think a lot of whether one has good skin or bad skin has to do with genetics and with one's attitude and personality.  For instance, I have noticed that people who have a sour, negative disposition and a downer attitude toward life - in other words, those who usually see the glass half empty, tend ot have sour-puss faces - maybe that's where the term came from!  Me, I tend to be an optimist and I tend to be pretty darn resilient.  Like Scarlett O'Hara, when I "think about it tomorrow" and just go to bed and sleep on things, I always feel better in the morning and rise to face whatever the challenges are.  This method hasn't failed me yet :)

I also think that not having had the additional stress of a marriage and family in my life has had an enormous impact on my looks.  Children (and spouse) wear one out and stress shows in the face, particularly accumulated stress built up over years of marriage and family-raising. 

So, the good things I do - I don't smoke, I don't do drugs (other than the presecriptions my doctor gives me to control blood pressure and cholesterol), I am very good at relaxing and shaking off things that are bothering me.  I probably have less stressors in my life than the average woman.  No matter how tired I am, I always wash my face at night and in the morning.  I never go to bed with make-up on!  And I use L'Bri products for my skin.

My youngest sister, Yvonne, introduced me to L'Bri in January, 2010 at a party I went to as a favor to her.  I was, frankly, skeptical of any product line used for skin care but I have to say I was impressed by the demonstrations given and I ordered some products.  I started using them regularly and within about six weeks, noticed a marked difference for the better in skin on my face and neck.  I've used L'Bri products since then.  My favorite is the facial peel which works by enzyme action of the ingredients lightly applied across the face and then gently sloughed off with a circular motion done with your fingertips.  I use the peel every three days or so and it gently removes dead skin cells and stimulates the growth of new fresh skin cells without irritating my sensitive skin at all!

Best of all, the rosacea problems I used to have are gone.  I also used to experience periodic break-outs which, being post menoposal, irked the hell out of me.  You would think I'd got past all that hormone stuff, but just because I stopped menstruating doesn't mean I've lost my hormones.  They are crazier than ever, methinks!

Maxi-Firm
Anyway, thanks to the L'Bri products I use: gentle cream cleanser, gentle soothing spray, gentle non-oily moisturizer for day wear, and intense moisture creme for night, the facial peel, and Maxi-Firm Skin Renewal Complex, I think my skin looks great.  Gravity, of course, can't be counteracted; nothing short of surgery can remove jowls and facial muscles that have headed south or fatty deposits under the chin.  But my skin is soft, smooth and firm to the touch.  No more rough, flaky patches, no more oily shiny patches - all on one face!  No more whiteheads or blackheads, and rarely a pimple!  Yeah, I've got laugh lines around my eyes and mouth, and saggy eyelids, but that's a function of time, not lack of skin care.  Even babies have wrinkles when they smile :) 

One other thing I did I also believe has helped keep skin issues at bay:  I switched from liquid make-up to mineral make-up that is brushed on and never clogs my pores or collects in those little creases and lines we all have :)  I did this in March, 2010, less than two months after I started using the L'Bri products.

I don't expect to look 20, but I do expect to look the best I possibly can with what I've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment