Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Looking for Inspiration and Reassurance!

Tonight was a short evening out with the Ladies of the Bus.  I ride the bus with the most incredible group of interesting women!  We're all different ages, but most of us are single for various reasons.  We'll probably get together again during the holiday season for an evening out after work.  It was a great time tonight.  We had everyone in the bar laughing; you know how sometimes the positive energy just builds and each line that comes out is funnier and adds on what the other said before you, and round and round it goes, and it's all just perfect. 

I hope I can do that with my sewing of this jumper project!  Now, I know I fell flat on my face picking out the plaid I wanted for my jumper.  That jumper I had back in the 1970's - it was bright yellow and green large plaid!  And it was fabulous!  I wore it with a green turtleneck bodysuit underneath, LOL!  Of course, my figure was different then than it is now, but that's why I picked out a straight up and down pattern - it will hide that which should be hid from public view :)  I was intent on a read plaid material.

So, what did I choose?  Nothing anywhere near the red plaid I'd envisioned.  I picked a sedate brown menswear plaid.  What was I thinking?  And yet it is beautiful material and I think it will make a very cute jumper.  Sooooo.... guess I'm just thinking up excuses to getting started sewing.  Sort of the sewing yips, I think -- like not being to make a sure-thing putt in golf, I'm not able to put those first stitches to material.  EEK!

I'm looking around the internet right now for jumpers.  I still cannot believe that when tonight I typed in plaid jumper a whole host of sites appeared, whereas a few short weeks ago, when I typed in jumper and women's jumper dress no plaids appeared!  Duh!

Here are some jumpers that I sure hope mine doesn't turn out looking like!

I think this jumper has a lot going for it - it has
great style and the plaid is bold which I like, but the pockets,
oh my, the pockets - way too big and placed too high, totally
ruins the proportions of an otherwise excellent jumper!
This is just ugly.  I didn't like the dropped waist style when it was
"in fashion" and it still sucks now.  This dress is also poorly
stitched - look at the dip right in the waist seam right at the front!

Awful!  Like a potato sack and the plaid is ugly, too.
Shoulders are too broad, the v-neck is cut too shallow,
and the light-weight cotton does not have a decent drape.
The following jumpers, on the other hand, I feel have a lot going for them:


I love the cut of this jumper and it has excellent
tailoring - the buttons down the front add a nice touch.
The plaid is conservative (like the one I chose) and
will work perfectly in a business setting with the
right accessories.

Ohmygoddess, how cute is this!  I love the tartan
plaid and the bow tied front is just gorgeous!  I don't
think I can carry off this look but possibly a variation...

The caption for this jumper at Etsy said it was
"1960 vintage wool".  I love its tailored lines and
the conservative plaid, great for work, but I would
give it a scooped neck or a v-neck.  I'd also want to check
what it would look like with a turtleneck or blouse
underneath with those mini-cap sleeves.
So, we'll sew and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment