Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Shopping Bust!

Please sir, may I have more - warm sunshine and a
wine cooler, oh, and the Sunday sales inserts, too.
Hola darlings!  I am back home from sunny, warm Las Vegas, back to cold, damp freezing Milwaukee, brrrrr.  It's 32 degrees F right now and tomorrow we'll be under a wind advisory, with winds up to 50 mph whipping off Lake Michigan from the east.  You know what that means - WIND CHILL, BABY!  Yep, the temperature equivalent will be in the teens.  So I went from sunny warm Las Vegas, sitting with my shoes off, feet up, sipping a cocktail, soaking in the intense southwest sun and loving every second of it, to this - the equivalent of the Duchess of Cambridge Catherine waking up as Oliver Twist. 

About that shopping expedition Saturday - what a bust!  My intent was to get to the shops at Caesar's Palace but I never made it there.  I ended up in the shops at the Miracle Mile and felt like I walked 10 there and back to the Excalibur where I was staying, and the only success I had was purchasing the shade of Bare Escentials mineral make-up that I like, and a new tube of Primer, from Sephorra. 

The other object of my search - a houndstooth plaid tote bag, or purse - not to be had for love nor money.  I saw a few, a very few, but they had pink plastic trim, not what I wanted!  They were also too small.  I looked at nearly every shop in the Miracle Mile and came up - empty.

Later, as I was wandering through the unfortunately ghost-town like atmosphere of the shops at Bally's, I saw a beautiful houndstooth plaid scarf.  I almost bought it, but decided against it.  That's ironic since a few weeks ago I was looking all over Milwaukee for just such a scarf, and couldn't find one!  So I found one in Las Vegas, and decided against purchasing it because I had my heart fixed on a tote!

To be honest, all those empty shops and desperate shopkeepers spooked me!  I couldn't help but wonder how the few stores remaining open have managed to hang on, as there was no one in them except the sales clerks!  It was easy to think on Friday night after the Sting concert as Georgia and I strolled through the shops at Caesar's Palace window shopping while waiting for the parking structure to clear, bumping elbows with lots of other people, that everything is "all right" in Las Vegas.  But it's not, unfortunately.  How well I remember those same shops back in 1999, during my first visit to Georgia in Las Vegas (I also went to watch the FIDE World Chess Championship taking place at Caesar's Palace).  Those shops were bustling back then and there were many different shops, including a jewelry store where I'd bought a pair of gold earrings, and two different shops where I stopped to purchase eggs to add to my collection - one of Indian brass that opens to hold a scented candle and a large cloisonne egg of celedon green and brass, with its own brass stand.  All those shops - gone - just empty spaces staring at me.  I stopped momentarily at a Hagen Daz ice cream counter and then walked away when I saw the price for a single scoop of ice cream - $4.95!  ARE YOU FRIGGING NUTS?  I left the ghost town as quickly as I could and headed back toward Paris as fast as my tired legs could carry me!

Well, I'm giving up the idea of doing anything accessory-wise with houndstooth.  I located some nice looking totes online, but I want something that will do the trick but is inexpensive.  I haven't found something suitably inexpensive to suit my taste - that's not to say I haven't found some bags that I'm over the moon for:
From Spiegel online: $59.  I love this! It is an obvious knock-off of the fabulously popular (and expensive)
Alexander McQueen houndstooth tote - see below from Polyvore.   I just seem to be experiencing an
attack of frugality recently; maybe I'll get over it before this tote disappears...


This is the real deal - the "Faithful" houndstooth tote designed by Alexander McQueen
that was so popular a few years ago.  I found the image at Polyvore, which indicated that
this tote originally sold at net-a-porter.com for $925 and was sold out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment