December 6, 2017:

Hola!

It's COLD here. Cold and windy. But the Sun has been out for the past 2 days so it's bright, and that helps me to bear the cold and the short days. Only 15 more days to Winter Solstice, and then each day, a few more minutes of daylight will magically begin to be added, and even though the cold and snow will continue, the "worst" will be over because I know we are over the hump and headed toward the Spring Equinox.

Meanwhile, I am busy decorating the tree. I dug out an old collage of photos from the former Maison Newton (above). Gosh, that was a beautiful fireplace. My current gel fuel fireplace is great, but no match for that large and lush gas fireplace in my former home. In my case, downsizing meant not only much less square footage and a single story (which IS nice), but no fireplace until I purchased my gel fuel fireplace. I love it, but there was only one wall I could put it on, and this current living room is much smaller than my former living room, so I sized the fireplace accordingly. (It was also much less expensive and did not need to be installed by professionals).

Yesterday I womaned up and muscled, huffed, puffed, cussed some, breathed heavily and heaved mightily to get my Christmas tree up the basement stairs and dragged into the living room, and then into position in front of the picture window overlooking the front of the house. Whew! Quite the work-out. But I wasn't ready this year to switch to a "single woman of a certain age" (4 foot tall) tree. Maybe next year...NAH!

Jan

Friday, May 11, 2012

The Look for Less: Ballard Designs "Bar"

I was onlne paging through the March, 2012 Ballard Designs catalog and stopped at page 5! Gosh, I didn't even get into it!  Saw this buffet or library table that was being used as a bar and said to myself "Self, that is tres cool!" 

Here's the inspiration image (I'm not sure the link will work correctly).  Catalog link, then click to page 5. 


The elements I singled out are:

(1) The table:  Fairmount Console, 32 1-2" high  x 65 1-4" long x 14" deep: $899.  Hardwood, made in Italy.  Worn black or distressed white over gray.

(2) The "Garden Seatl": 18" tall x 10 1-2" width, available in lime, white, or yellow, $139. 

(3) The letters on the wall: Typesetter Plaques, I did not see what material the letters are made out of.  They come in several different finishes, including black, rubbed white, antique gold, antique bronze.  Small letters 12" tall $19 each, 3 for $45; large letters 18" tall $29 each, 3 for $75. 

(4) The lamp: Bordeaux Accent Lamp, 22 3-4" high, 14" diameter shade.  Clear recycled glass body.  $129.  With Empire shade. 

(5) The framed cork board: Madison Corkboard, Acanthus and scallop walnut carved frame, black or cream, both with brown undertones.  Sizes: 28" x 24", $109; 44" x 32", $199 plus $15 shipping; 40" x 60", $299 plus shipping $60. 

(6) The clock:  L'Hotel du Vieux Quartier Clock, crackled dark chocolate face, 23" diameter, beaded brass see-through pendulum and pierced spear hands.  Decoupage over wood composites.  $129.

Sooooo, darlings, while I putter my way to slowly, ever so slowly, removing the wallpaper around the bottom half of the family room and plan my strategy for getting both the front yard and back yard grass cut and trimmed tomorrow in-between rain bursts and possible thunderstorms, this is my latest "the look for less" challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment