Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, September 19, 2011

I Bought a Sweater Dress!

Wouldn't you know it - I thought it would be a cinch to find an exact photo of the sweater dress I purchased last week Friday at Boston Store in downtown Milwaukee (it's BonTon owned).  But no such luck!
I did find this style of sweater dress that is like it (see photo, right) - but my sweater dress is a charcoal grey color and has a cableknit design worked all the way down the front (plain back).  It is not a marled knit.  It has two small pockets (bottom of pockets about six inches from the hem, so placed lower than on this dress) with two buttons trimming each (this dress has only one buttom trimming each pocket), a round banded neckline and cap sleeves.  So this Notations sweater dress (the brand I purchased), is similar to the pictured, but not exactly alike.  And, darlings, I am probably 1.5 times as large as the model wearing the dress in the photo.  But the length of the sweater dress I tried on is about the same on me as on this model. 
[Inserted on Tuesday, September 20, 2011:  I took a photograph this evening of the charcoal grey jumper!  Yeah, two models in the dress above could fit into this one dress - oh well :)  Itr's not as clear as I'd like but you can sort of see the cableknit pattern worked all the way down (and across) the front, and the location of those loooowwwww pockets with two button-trim.  I know it doesn't look like much on the hanger but it did look very cute when I put it on - honest!]

It was on a sale rack and it caught my eye immediately because it was a color I like and it looked like it might actually fit and be a length I'd feel comfortable wearing.  Most sweater dresses are cut like tunics, meant to be worn over leggings or jeggings.  I'm into neither of those looks and they are certainly not something that would pass muster in the law firm at which I work!  A modestly above the knee length sweater dress with black tights (not leggings or jeggings) and maximum 2 inch heeled black pumps, or perhaps low-heeled just to the knee black boots, yes.  Mid-thigh high (or higher) length tunic pretending to be a dress, stilletos, or thigh-high boots with 4 inch heels, well there are a few who work here who might wear the look but it's not exactly what I'd call professional.  But that's me, darlings.  I'm conservative when it comes to dressing.

Anyway, I grabbed an XL (the only one on the rack) and also grabbed an XL grey block-print cowl neck with a big, fat belt on it (I do not DO belts, darlings, but I figured if the dress fit the belt could be deep-sixed), and headed for the dressing room.

I had on a turtle neck and tried the grey sweater dress on over it, because I would wear it over a turtleneck (a red or perhaps a harlequin print, if I can find one), with black tights and low-heeled black pumps. 

I did not expect the dress to fit but fit it did, and quite nicely.  It was large enough to skim over the parts I don't want to emphasize and, better yet, it was just damn cute on me.  The proportions were perfect!  I couldn't believe it.  SOLD! 

Feeling encouraged, I tried on the cowl neck block print sweater dress, but the cut was different and it was just a tad too tight for my comfort, and several inches shorter.  I was not comfortable in it, and I reluctantly decided against it because I WANT a cowl neck sweater dress.  It is one of the items in my "Wish File" of clippings from fashion magazines that I've started during the past few months.  Oh well.  I will keep looking!

Jan in a sweater dress.  Never in a million years would I have thought it was possible.  I never ever owned one, not even when I was in my 20's and 117 pounds! 

Best news yet, the sweater dress was on sale.  My sales price was $38.40 before sales tax.   Grand total:  $40.55.  Savings over original cost:  $25.60.   LOVE IT!  Thank you, Boston Store :)

No comments:

Post a Comment