Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Inspired by "Shades of White"

Hola darlings!

I happened a across a link to this wonderful bedroom makeover yesterday and I wanted to post about it then, but I got side-tracked doing other things -- nothing new there!

It's from Back Porch Musings.  I haven't had time to explore, but from what I've seen, its owner, Pat, and I, must have been separated at birth.  I just love her style and decorative bent; me thinks we are two peas out of the same pod.

I was so struck by Pat's bedroom makeover in 2011 because it was pretty much based on shades of white with a few dark accents.  As it turns out, my own bedroom redo that started out with visions of a sort of sophisticated French toile bedroom morphed into a black and white bedroom, but in execution has resulted in more or less a -- well, let's just say it's a real mish-mash, but mostly "white" -- except for everything that isn't "white."

LOL!  That did not used to be the case with me.  I used to be the sort of disciplined person who worked relentlessly toward a goal, rarely deviating, and that determination has got me to a more or less pretty good place in my life. But starting some months before my 60th birthday, I found myself deviating from my life-long path of making a plan, checking it twice, and then carrying it out come hell or high water.  Since my birthday last August, well, let's just say that the change in my modus operandi has become even more pronounced.  I start out with one vision in mind and by the end of the trail have ended up in a totally different place from where I'd intended to go!  More about that later --

But I want to show you a couple of Pat's before and after photos:


I love this photograph of Pat's bedroom.  In other photos, it looks like she has a very large bedroom, it might be 2x as large as my 11 x14!  And so I concentrated on this photo that shows the bed and its immediate surroundings.

What struck me first about this "Before" room was the dark metal canopy bed.  I have a thing about canopies, and as you know if you've read some of my earlier posts, I recently put up a "mosquito net" canopy over my own canopy-less bed to create the "look and feel" of a canopy bed without the cost of actually buying a new bed -- part of  my current bedroom redo (fortunately now seeing the finish line in sight!)

I love Pat's metal bed, I love its draping without actually being a "canopy."  I love the white table, dressers and accessories.  No white furniture in my bedroom, alas.  Her bird prints seem to echo the bird prints I had/retained in my bedroom, although mine are not Pottery Barn nice! 

What I don't like is the dresser at the end of the bed -- it looks out of proportion to the scale of the other pieces, but not the size of the room overall.  And it's beautiful - and looks French provincial, too :)


And here's the "After" photo!  Canopy bed is - GONE!  Truthfully, I would have kept it.  The dresser at the foot of the bed was moved to another part of the house and replaced by this wonderful bench.

Notice that the white table and dresser in the "Before" photo simply swapped sides of the bed.  New lamps came in, the dark mirror formerly on the left was replaced by a print, and a small pediment was added above the bird prints on the right.  Some accessories were changed/swapped out.  A wing chair and foot stool were also added (on the right, not fully seen in this photo). 

Pat's room (both "Before" and "After") are incredible inspirations -- just what I needed to spur me on toward my finish line!  Thanks, Pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment