Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Monday, January 13, 2014

I'm [So] Tired...

Hola everyone!

Holy Hathor, I'm so tired!  It's been an awful week of weather.  Even though the temperatures got up to 40 F or so today, there is nowhere for the thawing snow to go as it melts because the ground is frozen solid, so it puddles, pools and re-freezes on the sidewalks at night.  The same sidewalks that I use to get to and from the Pick 'n Save and the bus.

Argggghhhh!  I've got a classic video below, Madeline Kahn doing "So Tired" from Blazing Saddles.  I've put it at the end because, well, it's a little racy so be warned.  She doesn't take any clothes off but her song has lots of double-entendres and she does a perfect sort of semi-klutzy imitation of the famous Marlene Dietrich.  So if you are not the kind of gal who appreciates this, please do not watch the video!  I laughed out loud several times while watching it, and feel much better now.  But -- my beyatching isn't finished yet...

Do you have any idea how exhausting it is to walk like a duck for nine blocks (half of it up-hill, sometime lugging two bags of groceries weighing 10 pounds each, because that's all I can carry)?  Friday night was the WORST!  We got hit with freezing rain/sleet and the streets were a mess.  I read in Sunday's paper that there were 174 reported accidents in the City of Milwaukee alone and a couple dozen more at least on county-patrolled expressways, mostly spin outs and rear-enders because people were traveling too close and too fast for the awful conditions.  Fortunately, I was once again offered a ride home and I eagerly accepted it.  And better yet, I did not have to venture outside as the ride was parked in the parking structure right in our building!  I asked my friend to drop me off at the Pick 'n Save and she did, but she was worried about how I would make it home from there.

It was raining/sleeting steadily the entire time I was in the supermarket, and rained/sleeted on me the entire long icy walk home.  Half the time I was in the road but that's a scary proposition when it is dark out and there are icy patches and cars are travelling way over the 25 mph speed limit.  But as dangerous as it is, the road was safer to walk in than the sidewalks!  My greatest fear is falling and breaking a bone or doing some serious damage to myself.  Ugh!  There was no way I was going to tempt fate by walking like a duck on those sidewalks the entire distance home.

I did, eventually, get there, going slow and steady, carrying two bags of groceries.  I think it took close to 30 minutes to do 9 blocks, but I arrived at home safe and sound, whew!  I was wet and my Sketcher poop-kicker shoes with the uber-thick soles had sprung several leaks, but I was safe! 

Except for the rain, I went through the same process Sunday.  However, I was out at noon -- big difference in visibility!  Problem is, the sidewalks are still in terrible shape and tonight we're supposed to get FREEZING RAIN and SNOW intermixed.  Great.  Just great.  Tonight, the walk home in full dark from the bus stop -- geez!  The sidewalks were somewhat clearer of ice in longer stretches, but when they were bad, they were very very bad...

Is it any wonder I'm tired!  I just hope my gait returns to normal once this extreme weather is over.  I don't want to walk like a duck for the rest of my life.

I'm disappointed too, because I don't think I will be able to buy my ooh la la French inspired gel fuel fireplace.  There were several available when I first added it to my wish list on January 4th, but when I checked yesterday there was only one left!  I haven't found anything else even remotely close to it in looks or price, so I may be out of luck, because I cannot pull the trigger on the purchase until I have the money in hand and payday is on the 15th.

So, I am totally bummed out.  My only hope is that, somehow, that one remaining fireplace is waiting just for me to buy it, and it will still be available on January 15th.  But I'm not holding my breath.  One has to be realistic, alas.  I really do need a new front door...

I hope you enjoy this video as much as I did!  I snore just like Madeline Kahn, er, Lili Von Shtupp:



No comments:

Post a Comment