Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Moving Day Comes and Goes (Came and Went?) (Was Here and Gone?)

Hola everyone!

Ugh, that is what I have to say.  I have worked so hard for the past couple of months - sorting, tossing, packing, packing, packing, I never want to see another cardboard box as long as I live!  Except in this small new house, I have only pathways through a maze of cardboard boxes!  It will take forever to get unpacked and organized.  Little did I realize when I viewed this house for the first time how much I would have to purge, and how much I am still going to have to purge, of my possessions.  Geesh!

Closing happened on June 30th.  The very next day, a few wonderful friends kicked into high gear to help me begin the arduous process of clearing Maison Newton, my home for the past 24 years. 

Scant photos. This entire experience has been traumatic. I did leave Maison Newton without screaming and kicking and nobody had to drag me out, but I left with great reluctance and a lot of sadness. Who will feed my squirrels and birds? Not J&J (the soon-to-be-married-oh-so-young-owners), who consider them pests.

Every night for a week after work, beginning with July 1st when Barb and Tim came over with their van and trailer, bless their hearts, a friend would arrive at Maison Newton and we would load up as much as we could fit into car and trunk, and then unload it at the new house; sometimes making several trips. On Sunday, July 6th, the day before the professional movers came, my long-time friend, Ann, was like a Terminator Machine. We put in a full day's work packing; it was (of course) hot and humid, and I was struggling to get up and down the stairs at Maison Newton continually loaded down with arms-full of clothing (moving the mistress bedroom closet, Holy Hathor!), and box after box and large black bag after large black bag of -- STUFF! I was sweating like a stuck pig and Ann, I doubt she even got dewy! What the heck? Well, I know she likes it hot but - really! LOL! I looked like I had just stepped out of the shower by the end of it all.There aren't many pictures (I was not exactly in blog mode during this long, difficult process):

Boxes and bags (filled with clothing from emptied dresser drawers and who knows all what else)
in the front bedroom at the new house.  It will fill up quickly... 







The pro movers arrived bright and early on Monday July 7th.  I hired them to deal with the heavy furniture, including a giant china hutch, a large curio cabinet, and a queen sized sleeper sofa, recliner, large wing chair, two bedroom sets -- well, you get the picture.

The estimate I had received over the telephone about how long it would take to load everything and unload everything at the new house (after I had given them a room by room inventory of what was being moved), was spot on.  Two nice young men somehow managed to get it all done (I did not think it was possible, to tell you the truth) and I have to say, they worked their butts off!  It was hot and humid last Monday and even with the AC on at both houses, with doors removed (to fit large furniture through) it was fighting a losing battle to try and keep things cool.

Unloading at the new house.
The professional move came in on schedule and under budget.  I definitely recommend using the West Allis, Wisconsin franchise Two Men and a Truck, thanks Joe and Jimmy. 

I didn't cry here at the new house my first night sleeping over, but it was close. It was a tight contest with my feeling of being overwhelmed by the magnitude of the project I face in simply trying to UNPACK everything. Perhaps I shed a few tears of frustration and self-pity over that...

For a week, nearly every day, I emailed my buyer-broker about how much I HATE THIS HOUSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment