Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Little Bit of Progress on the Study/Library

Hola!

It's so fricking cold here today I cannot, I just cannot believe it!  Only mid-November and already we're experiencing below zero (Farenheit) windchills in Milwaukee County (SE Wisconsin)!  And snow.  More snow tonight is forecast, a couple of inches perhaps.

I'm already sick of it!

Not being able to do the yard clean-up that is so desperately needed and, now, with this crazy weather, may not be done until next summer, I've been puttering around in the study/library (also called the den/library/study, library/study/den, den/library, etc. etc.) the past few days.  It's too late in the season now to paint because I can't have the windows open, so I'm going to have to live with the darkish blue color and the black chalkboard paint racing stripe "gracing" the room until next spring.  Damn!  Well, I've nobody but myself to blame.  I should have paid more attention to that space after getting my mistress bedroom set up rather than the hopeless guest room. 

You may recall a few months ago the room that is to be the study/library looked like this:


That's not the half of it, but it gives you an idea!


In the photo above you can see the kid's size fan (which I don't like at all) and the black racing track complete with chalked in center line!  Oh, and if you look very closely at the ceiling around the fan, you'll see some of the glow-in-the-dark planets and stars that were stuck up there.  Cute, but not exactly my style...  Good grief, what was I thinking when I bought this house???

It took quite awhile and a lot of unpacking/cleaning out/donating, moving thgs around in basement storage areas, but right now there's only one partially emptied box left in the room, hooray!  The desk that was too large for the living room was moved in here, and my friend Barb came in one night after giving me a ride home from the office to help me flip the desk upright after I'd re-attached the legs (I had to take them off in order to get the desk through the door).

I decided, despite being angry at Cost Plus World Market, to keep the curtains that went on sale that I didn't find out about until 15 days after I purchased them, and Cost Plus World Market would not refund me the price difference because their policy is 10 DAYS.  Convenient. It occurred to me that those curtains might just "go" pretty good in the blue study/library.  And so last night I hung them up to try them out, didn't iron them or anything, just shook them out and slipped them on the rod.  I jerry-rigged a secondary rod to hang the semi-sheers behind.  They had been the only curtains in the room before, and were hanging on the primary rod, although they were hung upside down because the rod is too large to fit through the narrow rod pocket tops, so I slipped the rod through the open hems.  Yeah, I know, but it worked. 

I like how they look in this room -- and they go divinely with the teal lamp!



Today I went up and down my "work" chairs umpteen times (my rickety old wood ladder is still in the garage) to wash off the chalk on the "race track," and then spent more time up and down the chairs with a spatula to remove the glow-in-the-dark stars and planets. 

All gone now!  What to do with them, hmmm....



Once the red sarouk area rug is "flattened" out, I'll move it to this room and try it out with the wall color and the curtains. Both could go into the dinette for Christmas season, we'll see.  I've also thought about trying the red sarouk in my bedroom -- not sure how that would work at all but I won't know unless I do it and see what it looks like.


This room still has a long way to go and I have to figure out what to do about several things in it, but last night I worked in the room for the first time since getting it cleaned out and it was fine; it felt warm and cozy.  I like it more now with the glowing stars and planets gone and the chalk racing stripe washed away; it feels more "adult" even with the dinky little kid's size ceiling fan, LOL. I think I'll like it even more when the red sarouk is underneath the desk, even if it clashes with the curtains.  Curtains can be replaced for much less money than a wool area rug. 

No comments:

Post a Comment