Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Curtains for my French Campaign Style Canopy Bed

Hola everyone!

I'm starting early because it's going to get busy around here around 9 a.m.  My handyman is coming to put together two bookcases and my fireplace, woo woo!  Then I'll be putting up the Christmas tree and start decorating.  It's 6:18 a.m. and still pitch dark outside. Time for my coffee and putting some nuts and bird seed out for the squirrels and the birds.

While looking for inspiration on the internet about whether to drape my new bed, I can across some stunning rooms at Cote de Texas, including this room decorated by Mimmi O'Connell:


After going over and over the photos in the Cote de Texas post, I made up my mind: I wanted to try and add some kind of bed curtains to my bed!

Confession:  I had been stumped about how on earth to put curtains on my bed since I did not see any way to take the top apart to put curtains on the canopy.  Would I have to sew them on?  Would I have to make curtains with snaps to hang them from the canopy top?  Then it occurred to me as I studied image after image that in many photos (like the one above) the curtains were TIED ON.  Revelation!  And boy, did I feel stupid.  And relieved that I wouldn't have to try and jerry-rig some curtains!

I opted to stay conservative with my color choice in tie-on curtains.  I figured if I didn't like how they looked on my bed I'd be able to use them in another room, so I wanted something really neutral.  I chose white.  I found what I was looking for at Amazon:


I ordered the 95" length because I wasn't sure if the 84" length would be long enough to run from the top of the canopy to the floor.  I chose very light material (these are voile) because I don't want to add too much bulk to the bed, more the "idea" of draped bed curtains.

They arrived yesterday (really fast!  I ordered them the evening of November 25).  I'll iron them today and put them up on the bed and experiment to see which way works best.  I'm thinking right now that I'm going to drape only the headboard "poles" and leave the foot of the bed open.  We'll see.  I'll take pictures, success or failure.  Wish I had some of those fancy tie-on swags.  Wow, I wonder how those stay on and don't slip down the bed frame?  Another mystery to try and figure out...

No comments:

Post a Comment