Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Winter Cozy Living Room 2019

Hola!

The weather has been atrocious here, complete with rounds of seemingly endless snow and Polar Vortex cold.  February has been SNOW MONTH 2019 here in southeast Wisconsin, Geez Louise!  We're already close to if not above our "normal" seasonal average (30-40") just in February alone, with possibly another half a foot expected tomorrow.

Looking to the southwest from my front door.  My driveway entrance is plugged solid with snow.  Plows came through at 1 a.m. this morning and plugged up the small walkway that I had laboriously shoveled out for myself yesterday to get into the road without climbing over a snowbank or going down somebody else's driveway.  You can barely see where it used to be!  Means more shovelling once peak temperature arrives about 2 p.m. later day, but since I don't need the driveway (no car) I just do a small pathway for myself from the driveway into the road. 
Looking northwest from my front door.  Hard to tell how tall and how thick  those snow banks actually are! Bright sunshine yesterday and today are helping evaporate some of the ice and left over snow now quite removed from sidewalks.
View out my front door, looking across the street nearly due west.  Those snowbanks are GIGANTIC!  You can sort of tell by looking at my sidewalk entrance into the road - at the peak  the bank on the right is about 4 feet tall from the ground, about 4 inches taller from the road side because of the curb.
Spring seems very far away at this point.  I want the feeling of and actual warmth, lots of afghan and throw options and cushy pillows to cuddle into close by the fireplace.  So, for the time being, I've kept most of the red decorative accents that I introduced during the just past Christmas season.  I also kept my old red and black "oriental" style wool rug that I put down for Christmas.  It adds an extra layer of luxury and cushy softness underneath my stocking covered feet!  

The red throw with faux fur rim is so soft and cushy!  Two more throws on the ottoman guarantee more warmth when needed, the black faux fur which is luxuriously soft and a larger plaid wool blend that is extra warm.  

The view toward the front door.  That's my new slide under the sofa all purpose table with the lantern on top of it- great for holding my computer when I work in the room in the evenings when I want a fire going and snuggle on the sofa.  When not in use by the sofa, it serves as a convenient catch-all table at the front door.  The lantern holds a timer set battery operated candle and normally hangs outside when snow isn't expected.  That atrocious green accent wall behind my hutch is going to disappear this year, I swear!  I've been meaning to paint it ever since I moved in - in July 2014!  The rest of the room is painted in a soft and neutral light greyish-green color, soothing and warm during this time of year but cool enough for the bright summer sunshine that floods in through the west-facing picture window in the summertime.  It was the color on the walls when I bought the house, and I like it so much I'm not changing it.  I had a gallon of paint made up to match!


The decor and the furniture arangement will change once (if) spring actually arrives and decides to stay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment