Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, November 26, 2021

The Never Ending Saga of the 2021 Christmas Tree - Decorating 101

 Hola!  Today I did epic duty and individually applied and then twisted, twined and tweaked 590 lights on my Christmas tree.  I did not buy a pre-lit tree, after experiencing the slow death of lights on my previous 6.5' tree that served me well for 10-11 years.  Each year for the last 3 years of her life, she lost more lights and I was helpless and clueless on how to fix them.  I couldn't wrap my head around lights on half the tree still working after 10 years, and half the lights on the tree just deciding to die after 8, 9 and 10 years.

So - today was suck it up Jan, get the lights on the tree!  I got the box filled with lights from basement storage and spent about 3 hours doing my best to weave the strands of lights in and out of all the branches.  I started at the bottom of the tree as a decorator on Youtube told me I should do, and with one last string of 120 lights to work up to the top of the tree thinking I'd have more than enough, I see it looks a bit sparse of lights at the top 15 inches or so.  DRAT!  I will pick up one more box of lights if I can find something in LED "warm white" at the supermarket tomorrow.  Sigh.

Then I wanted to put the ribbon on. I pretty much ran out of steam, but no excuses.  There is ribbon on the tree.  Am I happy with how that ribbon looks?  Nope.  It is a far far cry from Ramon at Home's gorgeous trees with perfect ribbon that he makes it look so easy to do - and I can't do it!  Right now I'm thinking I'll take it off tomorrow, but maybe I just need to tweak it some. 

I am feeling rather inadequate right now.  As punishment for failing Christmas Tree Ribbon Application 101, I'm going to spend the evening re-watching every Ramon at Home video on how to decorate a Christmas tree. For your viewing "pleasure," below are two shots of the tree with the lights (and the ribbon) on it.  I have started on the tree topper as well, and discovered a box of picks and florals that I ordered at the end of last season that I totally forgot about.  I'll be using some of them on 2021's tree. Right now I'm not happy with the status of the tree topper either, it needs more pizzzaaaazzzz!



I definitely need to do something about that ribbon, OY!  I really need to rev up my "decorating the Christmas tree" MOJO.  

No comments:

Post a Comment