Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Birds Aren't Working...

One of the pleasures of Sunday is sitting down with a cup of coffee to read the Sunday newspaper, including all the sale papers.  I love sitting at the dinette table with the sunlight streaming in, a smooth jazz station playing softly in the background.  Along with the trek to the supermarket for hot ham and rolls, it is one of my best-loved Sunday rituals!

Today that trek to the supermarket was especially nice.  It was hovering a little above freezing when I left home to walk the nine blocks plus to visit Walgreens and then the Pick 'n Save supermarket.  I got home about an hour later and had actually worked up a bit of a sweat - my winter jacket, wool beret, scarf and mittens were too warm when lugging two cloth bags of groceries!  The Sun felt so good on my face!  No frozen cheeks today. 

The Sun is getting more intense every day, and I'm loving every second of it.  While this has been one of the mildest winters on record in southeast Wisconsin, I'm sick of winter!  I'm itching to get out in the yard and get dirt under my fingernails again.  I want to hang out on the deck on long sunny afternoons before the mosquitoes and the awful heat and humidity of last summer arrive again! 

I want to have this bout of decoratitis over by then!  But I'm not sure I'm going to be cured by then.  Sigh.

I am more or less a "serial" decorator.  I'm not the sort to start ten different projects and hop from one to the other, to and fro, and leave them in various stages of unfinished-ness!  I usually start something and see it through to the finish, and focus on one project at a time.  But, the relatively few finishing touches needed to complete the bathroom are languishing even though I have everything I need to finish it, because I got struck with a bug up my butt to redo my bedroom!  This is how I know I've got decoratitis, because if I were behaving normally, I would have finished the bathroom first.  That was the logical thing to do.  All I have to do is assemble the towel rack, put up the new shower curtain rod, and install the wireless wall sconces on either side of the mirror.  And it shall be finished!

But NOOOOOOOOOOOO. 

And now, I'm being punished, darlings.  Hera is schooling me, I'm sure of it! 

I can't decide where to put stuff on the bedroom walls or even what to put on the walls.  After I thought I knew it all!

Today I thought I had figured it out. While at Walgreens, I stopped by the section where the picture frames, etc. are and, lo and behold, they were having a 2 for 1 sale on many of the frames, including frames identical to the nice brown frames that hold two of my small bird prints! (I posted a photo of them yesterday).  I would not pay $6.99 for one frame, but $6.99 for two frames, you betcha!  So I snapped up two of the three on the shelf and congratulated myself!  Now, instead of having to reframe all four bird prints, I would only need to reframe two!  I was congratulating myself on how much work I would save myself...

So, that is what I did - reframed two of the bird prints.  And gave everything a good swipe and wipe, too.  Voila!  Shiny new!


So, I figured, that is how I would put them up on the only other large expanse of wall in the bedroom, the one next to the dresser on the right.

But I'm just not seeing it.

So then, I erased the odd-bird print out:


Somehow, that's not doing it for me, either.

I toyed with the idea of adding an old Home Interiors shelf below this arrangement, and putting something (Goddess only knows what) on it.  I even went so far as to dig through my cabinet stash and pulled out the shelf, cleaned it up and everything!  Then I plunked it down on the carpet underneath the pics and went - nah.  Ain't working, baby!  I didn't even take a photo of it.

Then I tried a couple of birdy plates that I have in my curio cabinet in the living room in various arrangements with the bird prints.  Nope, ain't working, baby.

Wish I had another day to this weekend.  Damn!  I've got laundry going, I need to feed myself again since the hot ham, cheese and hardroll I had this morning has worked its way through my digestive system and my body is saying FEED ME FEED ME, and tonight is a kick back and watch t.v. night in preparation for having to drag my butt back to the office tomorrow, UGH: Once Upon a Time, then Downton Abbey.  I'll save the premiere of the new season of Celebrity Apprentice for tomorrow night. 

I think I know what the problem is.  The proportions are off.  I used to have these bird prints in the 10 x 10 guest bedroom that is cute and cozy.  They fit in fine there, alongside the window opposite the doorway, where they had immediate visual impact.  But in my larger bedroom, they will get lost in the expanse of whites! 

So, back to the original plan, which was to reframe them in my $5 Walgreens frames that have large mats around them rimmed by dark brown wood (picture of those frames posted yesterday). 

Not sure what I'm going to do with these 'other' Walgreens frames once the birdies have vacated them; maybe see if they'll work on the memory/gallery wall I'm thinking about doing on the dinette wall.  But no more starting any more projects until my bedroom, and the upstairs bathroom, are complete! 

And the brown lamp on my nightstand - it MUST go.  The white/cream colored lamp from the guest room didn't work in the space, but neither does the brown lamp.  Sigh.  Back to the online catalogs...

BTW, this is where I stuck the large bird print:


Above the bureau.  It's not bad there, but it isn't the greatest there, either.  It's color sorta/kinda goes with the celadon green of my ancient jewelry box.  That's real, life patina on that sucker, people!  I have scrubbed this baby off, too, because I'm not a fan of "patina" -- but it refuses to go away.  I should have left it in its formerly more uniform grunge color!  Now I have parts that look cleaned and parts that still look filthy dirty.  What an insult to this gorgeous old Lady Buxton jewelry box that was a gift from my Daddy when I was maybe 8 years old.  I even still have the key to lock it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment