Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Family Room Re-do: Update and Wallpaper

Oy!  This is going to be a lot more work than I thought.  But it's too late to turn back now, I've already started tearing off the wallpaper!  Damaged walls where the wallpaper has stripped away some of the drywall finish; in one corner all the way down to the metal corner bead:




Yesterday afternoon my friend Ann, who drives (I do not) and loves Menard's as much as I do, met up with me and we went to - Menard's!  I got my Dutch Boy paint/primer.  When did paint get so damn expensive?  Geez!  Two gallons of the Family Tree (taupe) color and one gallon of the Superhide White (warm white) color.  Three gallons cost me a little over $90. RIDICULOUS!  And while it is primer/paint in one, when I mentioned that the walls had not been painted in YEARS and might suck up a lot of paint, the clerk recommended 2 coats.  So where am I saving any labor?  Prime first and then put on a coat of paint, or not separately prime and put on 2 coats of combined primer/paint.  NOT SAVING ANY LABOR.  Stupid moi -- I should have bought the regular satin finish paint without the primer in it and saved some $.  I've got at least two gallons of primer sitting on the basement landing that I could have used.  Well - will use anyway because the lower part of the walls will have to be primed before I put up the new wallpaper.  DUH.  Should have saved myself a few bucks on the white color, at the least, by getting a regular gallon of satin finish...

Picked up plastic drop clothes, rollers, etc. etc.

And then last night I started removing the wallpaper and border.  The paper is not coming off clean in most areas.  That means I will have to wet down the residue and scrape it off.  YECH.  The paper has also taken off parts of the drywall finish with it.  That means I will have to spackle and fill, sand and prime before I can put up the new textured wallpaper.  Unfortunately, more drywall finish is coming off than anticipated.  More work.  YECH.

I need to take everything off the bookshelves and put them somewhere (probably the garage) to get at the back wall, including pulling the entertainment center (which weighs a ton) away from the wall so I can get back there to work.  YECH.  Where am I going to put all of those books and memorabilia?
On a happier note, I have wasted spent hours since 8 a.m. today shopping online for paintable textured wallpaper.

I really got sick of looking and looking and looking at textured papers.  The ones I finally decided I liked the best:
25" repeat
12" repeat
25" repeat
Well darlings, you know about wallpaper repeats!  It would potentially WASTE a ton of paper to order the scrolled leaves, which I really liked the best.  Even the small leaf pattern (center image) I was shocked to see has a 12" repeat.  Damn!

So, I looked at some "stripes" and stries, including a beadboard.  Hated them all, particularly the beadboard (I'm just not a vertical chick, it seems). The advantage (so I thought) to a stripe or strie is that there would be no repeat to worry about, I could just cut the paper to size and slap those suckers up on the wall without worrying about pattern matching.  That would save me ordering at least one extra "double-roll" because I would not have to be paranoid about matching and waste.  I hated these the least:
12" repeat!  Say what?  How can a strie have a repeat???
25" repeat.  WHAT?
No repeat!  Now what is the difference, I ask you, between
this one and the middle one???
After staring at the blocks I printed out for what seemed like forever, I decided I liked NONE of these stries.

And so, I went back to the drawing board, and I think I am going to buy this one:


It has a 6-1/4" repeat which I'm not thrilled about but will waste a lot less paper and this large-"ivy leaf" pattern appeals to me much more than any stripe or strie I looked at.  I looked and looked and looked and feel like my eyes are falling out right about now.  ENOUGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment