Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Family Room Re-do: Chair Rail

I started shopping this morning for textured paintable wallpaper border after deciding that putting up a REAL chair rail was beyond my skill set.
Wasted hours looking (no, I decided I would not bore you with posting endless samples of the borders I looked at and decided not to buy).  I decided that the available borders (for the price I was willing to pay) just were not appealing.  I would end up hating how it looked, and I sure don't want that after all the work I know I'm going to be putting into redoing these rooms -- all the HOURS it's taken already.  YECH.  I hate spending this much time on what should be a straightforward redecorating project.  I mean, come on!  I'm not changing out furniture or tearing down walls, adding fancy crap to the ceiling or rewiring, putting down different carpeting or hardwood flooring.  Geez!  Pisses me off big time, all this time that I could be working on my chess blog, the family tree, and doing yard work (not to mention laundry).
Sooooo, after reluctantly, most reluctantly, coming to the conclusion that I would be better off to put up a REAL chair rail after all, I started looked for foam chair rails.  I wanted something I could GLUE on -- no fricking nail guns or hammers for me.  I've said it before and it's worth saying again - I can't hammer a nail in straight to save my life, darlings, and that's Goddess truth! 
After what seemed forever looking at various websites and "foam" products, I finally settled on "Creative Crown Moldings" -- they really have some neat stuff and their corner blocks make it possible to install crown molding (and chair rail) with straight cuts - no compounded cuts, funky angles or coved cuts needed!  But for the present I'm not interesting in putting up crown moldings in this family room.  Maybe later, but not now. 

Sooo, I ended up buying the chair rail profile on the far right - too lazy to crop the image.  It's the classic chair rail profile and about 2 inches wide.  I thought the price was great and I was very happy until I got to checkout and saw that they were ripping me off for $41 in shipping charges!  WHAT THE F?  That is just RIDICULOUS.  This stuff doesn't weigh a ton, after all - it's glued onto walls, which should give you a clue as to how much is DOES NOT WEIGH.  I was upset enough about the extemely high shipping charges to cancel the order - but I did not.  I just want to get this fricking project over with and did not want to invest another second looking for foam chair rail.  So - buyers beware -

The chair rail will be more than enough for me to tackle - I'm going to have to buy a hot glue gun and glue sticks.  Never thought I'd EVAH own one of those suckers.

The hot glue is used to join together intermediate cuts because each piece of chair rail is only 8 feet long.  That means if I want to space things out evenly on my long south wall (about 18.5 feet), I will need 2 joints to join together three pieces of rail each approximately 6' 2" long.  I'm thinking that would look better (and be easier to install) than putting up two 8 foot long rails and then one short section of 2.5 feet!

Right now, I seriously need to take a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment