Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, March 17, 2019

HGTV's April 2019 "Copy Our Cover" - The Look for Less! Part I

Yes, I'm at it again!  I'm antsy because I can't get outside yet and start doing those yard improvements I want to do this year.  DRAT! The weather just is not cooperating.  And while I could tackle some projects around here that have been waiting patiently for me to develop sufficient ambition to do them, well - here I am doing this instead.

Here's the cover from HGTV's April 2019 magazine:

HGTV Magazine  April 2019


Once again, I had a lot of fun hunting around the internet for lower priced bargains to try and replicate as best I could HGTV's room. HGTV's room totalled out at $2,116.00, not including the fabric it found at $17.50 a yard.  I have no idea how many yards of such fabric it would take to recreate the roman shade in the original bathroom, so I stuck to hunting for a fabric that might pass muster as a "comparable" for less per yard.

The Vanity

I LOVE the vanity, both of them - the original and the HGTV pick. The original sourced vanity was not listed in the magazine.  HGTV's pick is from Houzz, the Elma white 60" wide Carrara marble and wood vanity, $1,599.  It has oval undermount sinks, like the original sink.  As I'm working on this - it's on sale for 25% off the regular price of $1,999 (ouch!) - so now it's at $1,499!!!  Note: Faucets are not included with any of the vanities (HGTV or my selections), but are pre-drilled for standard 8" widespread 3 hole faucet set.  

So, that was the price I sought to beat.  Here are my picks, in no particular order:

Also from Houzz: This is the Madalyn 60" Solid White Double Vanity with two undermount rectangular sinks, Carrara marble countertop and backsplash, solid wood construction, polished chrome hardware, $1,299 not including shipping.  There are four functioning drawers. I picked this vanity because it has sleek pulls that remind me of the pulls on the original vanity and also smooth front panels on the drawers, neither of which the HGTV selection has.  Pictured below:


If you want to give up some drawer space, this may be an option for you to consider:  From Lowes, it is the Allen and Roth Presnell 60" Dove White Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with Carrara White Natural Marble Top, MDF with wood veneer construction (the description says this is solid wood, but I don't consider that "solid wood"), with two undermount rectangular sinks and a white Carrara marble top and backsplash, three soft close drawers and two separate "cubbies" that would hold a lot if you put some extra shelves or shelving units inside, polished chrome hardware, at a bargain price at $909.30, but not including shipping.  The bottom shelf is solid, not slatted; although it's hard to tell from looking at the cover of the HGTV Magazine, it appears that the bottom shelf on the original vanity may also be solid, not slatted.  The bottom shelf also features a back-stop so towels or baskets used for storage won't tip off the back side. Pictured below:


I found this option at Home Depot:  It's the Stufurhome Marla 60" W x 22" D Vanity in White with Marble Vanity Top in Carrara Marble and Mirror, solid wood construction, backsplash is NOT included, $1,173.85, with FREE delivery. The hardware has a brushed nickel finish - so it's not shiny chrome.  Yes, the giant framed mirror and free delivery are included!!! Note: Even though this vanity does not include a Carrara marble backsplash, the original vanity didn't have a backsplash either because it was installed on a tiled wall. Even better, the sinks are oval shaped, like the original vanity and the HGTV's choice for vanity.  Even better yet - there are a total of six separated drawer areas in two long soft-close drawers drawers!!! If you want to go with different mirrors, you can always use the one that comes with this vanity elsewhere, sell it or even gift it to someone. Pictured below:


Another option also found at Home Depot online is the Stuforhome Rochester 60" White Double Sink Bathroom Vanity with Marble Vanity Top and White Basin.  It features four soft-close drawers (each is divided into two parts to make room for the plumbing pipes), a bottom shelf with a backstop, no backsplash provided, two rectangular undermount sinks, and solid wood construction, with brushed nickel hardware, for $1,200.38 and free shipping.  Pictured below:



I'll be back with my selections for the other featured items in the HGTV April 2019 "Copy Our Cover."

No comments:

Post a Comment