Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Think PINK! Pics of the Refresh in the Living Room

Hola and Happy St. Patrick's Day everybody!

To get right to it, here are the pics, my usual not so good quality.  I'm all heart and no skill when it comes to taking pics.

There are the new throw pillows (the 2 smaller ones) and three new throw pillow covers (the 3 larger pillows) on the sofa. The sofa has been put back into its regular place when I'm not displaying the Christmas tree in the front window.  The ottoman holds the pink and white throw my second sister gave me for Christmas, but I opted to use the all cream colored side instead of the pink side with white hearts - see next pic and maybe you'll understand my decision.
Um - no to the white hearts on the pink.

Now my beautiful Mexican made pink and cream alabaster 
chess set can clearly be seen with the furniture rearranged.

This is by the entry "hall" at the front door.  The table is convenient for
catching gloves and keys, and I use it to hold my laptop when I'm
working in the living room because it can slide underneath the sofa or a chair.
The art above was printed from the internet and framed in some of my
existing stash of frames.  The gray and pink elephant is from my collection.

The spring/summer look for the mantel.  One one side is my black elephant and a black/gray crystal behind it; the other side is a parade of some of my pink elephants and a large chunk of quartz dug out of the ground on the shore of a lake up in the Gore Mountains outside of Denver in 1973. It has delicate veins of pale coral and a pinkish color running through its white color and although you can't tell in this photo, it has sparkles in it too.  One of the many souvenirs I've collected over the years.

They just make me smile, can't help myself :)  The little one on the far right end is from Banff.

The sofa is a wonderful place for my afternoon naps.  Here you can see the interplay between the two patterns on the complementary colored area rugs.

The two shades of pink in the new area rug (from the Jonathan Adler New Home Collection at Amazon) are so pretty!  I'm usually in stockinged feet inside and walking on two area rugs on top of carpet makes me feel utterly decadent - so soft and cushy!

Taken from the dining room threshold.

Sitting on the sofa, I can see all the way into the back yard through the patio door in the dining room.  That's the wall I had opened up a few years ago so there's great flow in the house now and it feels way bigger than it used to.  I still have to repaint the walls where the drywall was repaired after the to the floor wide opening was created.  Well, I still have a lot of painting to do - motivation is sometimes hard to come by. I admit, I've really gotten lay since I retired in January 2015.  

I call this the meditation wall because of my Buddha on display near the built-in bookshelves.
At night with the elephant lamp on (you can see it in the photo below), this is the view I see down the hallway that houses the entries to the bathroom and bedrooms.  These are two old wood "gold" frames I painted (they aren't antiques, I bought them at Target many moons ago) with some black acrylic craft paint watered down so some of the gold would peek through.  The art was printed from the internet.  The mats are the back side of very old dark forest green mats from my stash to fit inside these 11" x 14" frames. 

Taken from the front "hall" area.

Because my living room is now fully open to the dining room, I added a few touches of pink into my grey/cream/goldish-yellow dining room, which now has its spring curtains up, the spring/summer art on the walls and the formal tablecloth is banished for the season.

These silk flowers were purchased back in the early 1990s when Marshall Fields still had its downtown Milwaukee location open.  Sadly, it closed many years ago, long before Marshall Fields became part of Macys.  I dug them out of my stash, they're perfect for the table.

It's the same old frame that's been hanging in the dining room area for a few years now, I just swap out the art from season to season.  The Christmas/winter cardinals collage is tucked away until December 2019.  This is another print from the internet, similar (but not identical) to one in the living room.  This hangs on the right side of the patio door; the kitchen starts to the right of the picture.

Looking from the patio door in the dining room area toward the living room. The enlarged entry into the living room is about centered with the large picture window there, but the dining area itself is skewed because on the other side of the wall on the right is the stairway to the basement and the side entry hallway off the driveway.  The table is more or less centered in the actual space underneath a ceiling fan with light (another thing on my endless "to do" list - to replace that fixture with a gorgeous but budget-wise chandelier), and it's pretty much centered on the patio door, where I'm standing to take this photo.  


So, that's it!  I got such a wonderful complement the other day when one of my neighbors dropped by to borrow some baking supplies - not kidding, it happens in real life around here :)  I invited her into the kitchen while I rummaged around for what she needed and she said "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  It's so pretty," and she was pointing toward my living room.  And then she said it a couple more times as she stared at it.  HOORAY!  Success.  The pink worked its magic.  I love it too, but then - I'm partial.  

No comments:

Post a Comment