Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Thursday, March 14, 2019

HGTV's "Copy Our Cover" - The Look for Less Jan's Way! Finale

Hola!  Today I'm showing you the fantasy room I'd put together using the choices - and a few new picks (I'll explain) - I selected in recreating the HGTV cover from its March, 2019 magazine.  Here's the HGTV room:


The Chair

Right from the start, I knew I was going to pick the purple (they're not "fuchsia!") skirted swivel chair with its velvet upholstery to the floor to cover the swivel base and the sleek yet classic proportions and lines.  The chair I originally found was called "The Cynthia" by GDF available at Walmart for $185.99 but I later found the identical chair by a different name at several different vendors for an even lower price!  For instance, at Birch Lane is the Sevan Swivel Barrel Chair in Natural, velvet upholstery, for $156.99 and free shipping. If I were shopping for chairs right now for my house, I'd buy this chair. But it's not part of the challenge I set myself here.  You'll see the Cynthia chair below in a montage of the items I picked to put my personal preference version of the HGTV room together.

The Side Table

I liked all of the side tables I picked out for different reasons.  But I like some bling in a room and I went with a table I consider classic and neutral.  This choice was found at Overstock, the HomePop Hourglass Metal Accent Table in Gold with Mirror Top, 22" H x 17" diameter, $67.99, pictured below.

The Planter

I chose the solo color planter for my room, found at Amazon, from My Gift, Rustic Style Turquoise Ceramic Floral Design Succulent Plant Pots/Mini Herb and Cacti Planters, 3 1/4" H x 3" square width, $19.99 for a set of 3, pictured below.  Having a set of 3 gives me options to use the other planters in the same room or elsewhere.  And I do like a bargain :)  Pictured below.

The Throw Pillow

My choice stayed the same, the pillow from Society6, the Modern white chic faux gold foil Leopard Print throw pillow, $39.99 for the 20" x 20" size when not on sale.  It's got the gold bling!  Pictured below.

The Coffee Mug

I went with simple and elegant and - gorgeous from Target's Threshold collection, a 15 ounce Porcelain Hello Gorgeous Stackable Mug Pink/Gold, 3.52" H and 5.35" W, $5.99, pictured below.  

The Art Work

I picked out several new pieces that coordinate better with the Cynthia chair I picked.  I also did not use either a real or print/photograph of a butterfly in my room.  Here are my choices.

(1)  This was an original choice, from Great Big Canvas, "Still Life with Turquoise Bottle" by Sylvia Paul, in the 16" x 16" size, unframed, $20.99.  See in the montage below.
(2)  This is a new selection, from Society6, Mexican Beach Vacation Art Print by Lisa King, in the 8" x 10" size, unframed, non-sale price is $23.00.  See in the montage below.
(3)  An original choice, "Pink Sky II Art Print" by lalunetricotee, 22" x 25 unframed, non sale price is $42.00.  See in the montage below.
(4)  A new choice from Great Big Canvas, "Miami Wall Art" by Mike Schick, 18" x 24", $21.00.
(5)  Another new choice from Great Big Canvas, "Yellow on Pink Wall Art" by Laura Gunn, 24" x 18", $21.00. 

The Rug

I went with the Bungalow Rose Loneruck Aqua/Pink Area Rug, 5' x 7' in polypropylene, $91.99 (Reg. $198) (free 2-day shipping) from AllModern.  The picture below doesn't do it justice.  Visit the website and use the "enlarge" button to explore the rug's beautifully shaded colors.  I had in mind being able to select a rug with a number of different colors that would complement several different color combinations in the future.  This rug has shades of purple, lavender, pink, blue, and yellow/gold.

The Total Cost

The HGTV cover cost $3,392.50.  My choice room cost is $662.00 (includes 2 chairs in this color from Birch Lane at $157 each), not including shipping/postage for some of the items, or sales taxes if you live in a sales tax state.  Now that's what I consider a big win for my wallet! 


Mexican Beach Vacation Art Print

No comments:

Post a Comment