Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

HGTV's "Copy Our Cover" - The Look for Less Jan's Way! Part V

Hola! Today I'm showing you my choices to copy the HGTV room from it's March 2019 issue. The last post in this series will be what I'd pick for a room I'd put together just for myself.  Here's the room from the magazine:



The Chair

Drum roll.....I chose the Safavieh Couture Clara Quilted Swivel Club Chair.  You can't see it in the photo below, but it has beautifully quilted sides.  The color isn't the light pink of the HGTV chair, but I like the lines and overall size of this chair more than the other pink selections.  The upholstery is also velvet, like the HGTV chair selection, and in addition to the beautiful quilting detail, it has gold-finished tack trim outlining the quilting on the sides and back of the chair.  I like a little bling in a room :)  The price also happens to be the lowest of the pink chair options at $362 (rounded up) at the time I did that post, from Overstock. When I checked today it was a bit lower priced, at $352.  Pictured below.

The Side Table

My choice for the side table is the Edgemod Signy Drum Table with Marble Top from Hayneedle for $76 (free delivery by Fedex Ground), with antique brass finish over iron with a white marble top.  I wanted a bit more bling to go with the gold tack trim on the chair. Pictured below.

The Planter

I couldn't resist this teal beauty with the pretty pink flowers.  It's a rustic style ceramic that contrasts with the more lux look of the chairs and table.  It's the Dahlia 3" Vintage Style Floral Detail Succulent Planter in Teal at Amazon for $18.99.  I'm not an Amazon Prime member, so no free shipping unless my order is over $25  Pictured below.

The Throw Pillow

I stuck with the blingy theme and chose the gold foil leopard print pillow in the 20" x 20" size from Society6 (supports artists who provide the products), not only to keep the bling theme going in the accent pieces but also because I thought it would be a nicer complement to the dusty rose color of the chair and it gold-finished tack trim.  Modern white chic faux gold foil leopard print throw pillow, $40 if not on sale (first time customers get a discount and Society6 runs a lot of sales, so check often on the price).  At the time I made the original post featuring the pillow the sale price was $32. Pictured below.

The Coffee Mug

I liked the designs on all of the mugs that I selected, but frankly, they were just too large for me.  I settled on the beautiful set of two Hand Painted Mosaic Mugs Set at World Market for $16 because I like options and I thought the colors in the two cups beautifully complemented the colors in the art work and the frames (black and white frames) as well as the black accent color in the area rug - more about the rug a bit later.  Pictured below.

The Art Work

I only selected six pieces for my "looks for less," post on the art work.  These are the five I settled on - you'll see them in the montage below.  No, they're not four still lifes plus the butterfly :)

(1) "Singing Season Wall Art" by Heather Craig at Great Big Canvas in the 20" x 16 size (unframed), for $21.
(2) The free blue Swallowtail butterfly photo that is free to copy and print from Shutterstock.  You can print it out in any size you want.  There are simple black frames available at Family Dollar in the 5" x 7" size for $1.50 each or you might have something on hand that you can use, and pay zero for a new frame.  The framed butterfly (an actual insect, which I don't like the idea of) that HGTV selected was 6" x 6" for $50.  I visited the website today and the photo of the butterfly I saw is now in Row 21, there is another a few rows below it, a beautiful blue and black Swallowtail butterfly.
(3) "Party Cat" at Society6 by Frankie Print Co., 13" x 16" size (unframed), on sale at the time I did the original post for $18, regular price $24. 
(4)  "Tuxedo Cat Napping Chair" at Society 6 by Lara Lee Meintjes, 17" x 20" size (unframed), on sale at the time I did the original post for $29, regular price $38. 
(5) "Still Life with Turquoise Bottle" by Sylvia Paul at Great Big Canvas in the 16" x 16" size (unframed), for $16, a price reduction from the $20.99 in my original post on the art. 

The Rug

I selected the Now House by Jonathan Adler Martine Collection Area Rug in Blush, the 5' x 7' size.  Right now it's on special again for a reduced price of $168 (with free shipping).  When I first found it, it was $157 but did not include free shipping; then the price went up to $180 with free shipping.  So, check often if you want this rug. I selected this because other than the goldish-yellow, it had the colors featured in the HGTV rug and while not a checkerboard (squares) pattern, it had a geometric diamond or lattice/trellis pattern.  I judged it the most versatile of the rugs I found that would complement the overall look of the room, in which the chairs would be the stars.

The Total Cost

Total Cost for HGTV cover (does not include the cost of the beautiful area rug also featured):  $3,392.50. 

The cost for my room selections without the rug:  $974.00 (that includes two chairs at $362 each).
The cost for my room selections with the rug:  $1,154.00. 

Note:  I selected the higher price on my selections because sales prices aren't guaranteed, depends when you find the items and whether you hit sales or are using offered discounts. 
 



The final post in this series will be my personal choices for this "look for less" room, if I had a small fantasy space to decorate.  I visualized this room in a small enclosed porch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment