Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Easy Chicken Casserole

 Hola!  I hope everybody is keeping well and safe.

Cold and extremely windy weather has arrived in my part of Wisconsin, brrrrrrr!  It's the time when the thick throws come out and are draped everywhere and flannel sheets go on the bed with a quilt and extra faux Sherpa throw - just in case.  And my gel fuel fireplace is getting used.

This experiment in my limited cookery skills came about a few days ago after I had pulled out an aluminum wrapped mystery package from the freezer, thinking it was about a pound of ground beef.  My original intention was to make my easy version of a Shepherd's Pie. But after it thawed out and I peeked, it turned out to be a very large boneless/skinless chicken breast.  I mean - BIG, like the size of two chicken breasts you would get at a restaurant when people were still eating at them.

So there I was - with this chicken breast that I wasn't prepared to use.  I could have made some kind of chicken and rice dish but - nah - just not my style.  So I rummaged around, discovered at the back of one of my cabinets a can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup.  That came out to the counter.  I had a half of green pepper in the veggie drawer in the fridge, that came out.  I had frozen veggies in the freezer.  Out came two bags - one corn, one peas.  I dumped about half of each into a bowl to thaw out a bit and the half-filled bags (after I sealed them) went back into the freezer.  I could have topped the dish with instant mashed potatoes (surprisingly good if made with just the right amount of butter, milk and salt) but I have a lot of boxes of Idahoan instant potatoes in one of my cabinets - I picked up several when they were on special, they last for months, don't take up space in the freezer or fridge, and are quite delicious.  I pulled out a box of Scalloped Potatoes.

Okay, I thought, I'll make a version of a sort of chicken Shepherd's Pie but with the scalloped potatoes on top rather than mashed potatoes.  Well - turned out to be absolutely delicious, so I have another easy peasy recipe to add to my repertroire

I want to be clear that I will never audition for "Master Chef," LOL!  I am a SLOW cook.  It takes me forever to do the prep, even easy peasy prep.  But here's the recipe for all cooks who want to try something new and quick for some of you:

Ingredients

  • 8 to 10 oz. boneless/skinless chicken breast, cubed in 1/2" to 1" size
  • 1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom Soup (do not use regular generic Cream of Mushroom Soup, you won't get the flavor and rich deep color of Golden Mushroom Soup)
  • Vegetables - use approximately 8 to 10 oz. of frozen mixed vegetables to your taste (I used some frozen peas, some frozen yellow corn, and chopped up half of a left-over green pepper)
  • 1 box Idahoan Scalloped Potatoes (prepare per directions and set aside)
  • Salt to taste (I don't use a lot of salt, it was about 1/4 teaspoon.  As you will be topping with a commercially made product - the potatoes - and mixing in the canned soup - there will be a lot of sodium already added to your dish).
  • Optional:  1/4 cup to 1/3 cup total of sweet pink or white wine
  • Optional:   2 tablespoons dried chopped onions or 1/8th cup chopped fresh sweet onion

 Directions

  • Begin browning chicken in about 2 tablespoons oil.  I use extra virgin olive oil.
  • Optional:  Add chopped onion to pan with raw chicken and oil.  If you use dried chopped onion like I often do, add some extra oil to the pan.
  • Optional:  Add wine after slight browning of chicken (with or without onion) occurs.  Simmer 5 minutes.
  • Add drained vegetables to chicken along with chopped green pepper.  Bring back to a simmer.
  • Add Golden Mushroom Soup to the simmering chicken, vegetables, wine and olive oil.
  • Optional:  Use about 1/8th cup additional wine to "rinse" out soup can and add to pan.
  • Simmer chicken/veggy/wine mixture about 10 minutes after the last ingredient (or optional wine) is added.
  • Remove from heat and pour contents of pan into a round casserole dish (size about 4" tall and about 9" diameter) or other casserole dish contents will fit in when topped with potatoes.
  • Top with the prepared scalloped potatoes.
  • Bake uncovered in preheated 350 degree (F) oven for 30-40 minutes.  You want to see the potatoes slightly browned and bubbling around the sides of the casserole dish.
  • Remove and cool about 10 minutes covered to eating temperature.

This casserole gave me five delicious and hearty meals (two are going in the freezer in individual servings).  It's really tasty!  The best thing is that this recipe can be made with ground beef or cubed beef stew meat and topped with any style of potatoes you/your family likes best.

Grandma, if you're looking on or watching over me from somewhere, I hope you'll be proud that at 69 years of age I'm getting brave enough to experiment a wee bit more and "go for it" cooking-wise in the kitchen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment