Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Make Your Own High End "Feather Filled" Ornaments

 Hola!  I've been meaning to post, but honestly just been super-busy as I'm sure you all have, too, particularly during this time of the year, pandemic or not.

I recently came across some ornaments at West Elm that I absolutely fell in love with, and since they were on special at 50% off, I decided to buy the pair, even though even at 50% off they were outrageously priced.  While I was window-shopping at West Elm, I came across these feather-filled clear glass ornaments.  They're very pretty, and ridiculously priced.  On my retirement budget I can't afford to buy such baubles, even on "sale," but even when I was working and making good money I wouldn't spend the 50% off price for these.  Not when they're so easy to make for yourself!

Here are the pretties from West Elm:

Above is West Elm's Feather Stuffed Ball Ornament, 3" (diameter) and 3.25" height (to account for the cap where the hook or a ribbon goes to put it on your tree - or whatever you are decorating).  The regular price is $9.00 for one, and a set of 2 is priced at $27.00 Holy Hathor!  Sales price is $5.40 for one, and set of 2 is sale-priced at $18.90.  I still can't figure out why you wouldn't be better off just buying two at $5.40 each, or even 3 on sale, which would still be less than $18.90.  Hmmmm - am I missing something?

Anyway, I thought to myself, "Self,  this is an easy hack."  I'm not a particularly crafty or handy person, but even I can manage this hack!

I found both of these items online and didn't look further than them since I thought the prices were already really good:

From Michaels a fair-sized bag of white feather bits for $3.29 that could be easily stuffed into several clear Christmas ornaments to create the high end look from West Elm:


Michaels also offers clear plastic Christmas ornaments of 2.6" diameter and 3" height (25 count on sale now for $9.99, regularly $19.99), and a slightly larger size 3" diameter and 3.5" height (25 count on sale also for $9.99, regularly $19.99):


Yes, they're not glass.  But if you're a Miss Klutz like I am plastic ornaments are the way to go.  And if you have kiddies with curious hands, dogs with big whopping tails or cats who can't seem to resist batting at ornaments...

Not a difficult task to spend a little time taking the silver clip off the top of the ornament, stuffing feather bits into the opening to a fullness that appeals to you, and re-inserting the silver clip at the top of the ornament when you're finished.  Voila!  

It occurred to me just before publishing this that probably dozens of others if not hundreds and maybe even thousands of bloggers have come up with the same hack, but here it is, for what it's worth.  I think they're cute.  They may make appearance on my Christmas tree in 2021...

No comments:

Post a Comment