Happy Holidays!

December 17, 2022: Hi all. I'm still here, just been very busy (who of us is not?) I'm working on updating Maison Newton bit by bit, it's been awhile since I changed things up. Happy Holidays to all, soon the Winter Solstice will arrive and then the days will start to get longer once again, hooray!

Friday, November 15, 2019

Contemplating Doing a Switcheroo: Wallpaper v. Bed Linens

Still contemplating what to do to refresh/update the colors in my bathroom and now I'm thinking about my bedroom and my guest bedroom, too.  Seems like a natural jump - in my mind :)

I find changing things like bedding on a seasonal basis keeps me from getting bored with the decor, and I have a couple of options from which to choose when I do my switch-ups for the bedrooms. But as I wrote about in my previous post, I've become enamored with --

-- those large floral murals!  They all expensive, all more than I'd spend on a wall covering.  I first thought about installing something like them on a wall in my bathroom.  Then, after coming down to planet Earth and taking a good hard look at my bathroom, the room is far too small and the walls too chopped up to showcase such a mural. It would be a waste of money.

Now, would I love to put one of them up on one of my bedroom walls?  Absolutely!  Am I going to do it?  No - for the same reason, the cost.   Here's my blog entry about my enchantment with these super-enlarged floral wallcovers that have stolen my heart! Gorgeous!

Since I'm not willing to pay hundreds for a wall-size floral print wall mural, I thought - why not try the old switcheroo.  Look around for bedding that offers the same look for lower cost.

My bedroom walls are a medium gray color with no hint of blue or lavender.  The ceiling is white.  My curtains are creamy white.  The woodwork/trim is darkish (but one of the things I want to do someday is paint it white). I have natural finished hardwood floors, traditional style case goods in a dark cherry finish, and a campaign style (French) canopy bed in a color called "Gun Metal" on a metal frame.  Here's what the bed looks like now:


I've had this toile (black and white) quilt for several years.  It has matching pillow shams and the bedskirt on the bed came with the set too.  It is a black and white pinstripe flat panel skirt.  As  you can see, while the size of the toile quilt is full, it's not quite long enough to cover up the actual queen-size frame of the bed and so you see a "shadow" line where the frame juts out beyond my full-size box spring and mattress!  It shows up under the bedskirt in the photo but normally not something most people would notice.  It bothers me, though - one of the reasons I think a new duvet cover to go over an as yet unopened full/queen goosedown comforter that was a Christmas gift two seasons ago from one of my sisters would "juice up" the room for the already here cold winter season! 

Soooooo - here is a selection of duvet covers or comforters that caught my eye as I was hunting around for possibilities:

From Overstock, Lush Decor Zinnia Floral 3 Piece Full-Queen Quilt Set, today's price is $46.33.  As you can see, it is reversible - black with large floral print of white flowers and gold leaves on one side, and a small floral print on white on the reverse side:


From Wayfair, House of Hampton Alphonse Floral Blooms Reversible Comforter Set (Queen comforter, two shams and two decorative pillows), today's price is $59.99.  Reversible from a black background with large floral print shades of pink and gray) to a white background large floral print:


From Bealls Florida, I found this option, Intelligent Design Dorsey Floral Print Duvet Cover Set (Full/Queen) with two shams and two decorative pillows, today's price is $48.74.  A white background, large black/gray floral print and reversible to solid black:


At Amazon, the Getiann Black Floral Duvet Cover Set, Full/Queen, includes duvet cover and two pillow shams, $26.99 (free shipping).  This set appears to reverse to the same pattern and color:


Also at Amazon, the Tiffico Queen Duvet Cover Set Three Piece Dark Black Floral Leaf, includes duvet cover and two pillow shams, $29.70 (free shipping).  This set appears to reverse to the same print and color:


These are just some of the quits/duvet covers/comforter sets I've looked at thus far.  Geez Louise!  Right now, I'm drawn to options 2, 4 and 5.  I like the comforter idea, although I already own several, the pattern appeals to me.  On the other hand, I like the practicality of a duvet cover, and both prints in options 4 and 5 are beautiful and in colors that really appeal to me.

It may come down to price in the end.  But as of now, I'll look a little further and see what I can see.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get good feelings every time I read your posts. They contain information that I want to know. Thanks to your sharing, I can enrich my knowledge. Thank you so much. C shaped pregnancy pillow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pillows are indispensable components of bedding, providing essential support and comfort for a restful night's sleep. These soft yet supportive cushions come in various shapes, sizes, and materials to accommodate individual preferences and sleeping styles. Pillows are not only functional but also contribute to overall sleep quality and spinal alignment.

    ReplyDelete